back to article Unite: CSC UK set for 'jobs massacre' as 1,101 heads put on chopping block

Sickly outsourcing titan CSC UK is strapping another 1,101 staff to the employment catapult to be hurled out of the organisation between March and September, according to Unite the union. In a newsletter to members - seen by us - the union claimed it was “time to fight” the pending “massacre” of jobs “across most areas of the …

1. Sir Barry

Job Cuts?

"indicated a “massive failure” on the part of senior management"

Will there be any job cuts in middle and senior management or is it just the poor sods on the ground doing the real work?

1. Canonymous Howard

Re: Job Cuts?

Seems to be across all levels. At least they are fair in that regard.

Sinking ship, time to grab the lifejackets!

1. Hans 1 Silver badge
        Unhappy

>Sinking ship, time to grab the lifejackets!

Well, they are merging with another sinking ship, HPE, so even if you are not of the merry lot, locate the nearest lifejacket and emergency exit ... you'll need it in the next couple of years ...

Wilson for Wilson ?

1. Canonymous Howard

I'm one of the lucky ones, I've found a rubber dingy and am now floating the good ship jobserve...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Good severance terms from CSC? Statutory or 2-3 weeks per year?

2. The IT Ghost

I note that "graduates" and "apprentices" are not affected. I'm not entirely sure what the former means in this context, but I expect apprentices are just like the ones here - newbies to the field under active training by more experienced workers while working for comparatively low wages.

And now the experienced workers are being let go, so more and more responsibility will be dumped on the apprentices - trial by fire.

1. d3vy Silver badge

For graduate read apprentice with a degree...

Or low paid junior.

That's pretty much how they get treated.

2. Sir Barry

A bit of clarification on apprentices...

Apprentices and redundancy

You can’t usually make an apprentice redundant simply because you can’t afford to pay them, (for example, if your company runs out of work).

You should get legal advice if you think you might have to make an apprentice redundant or want to end the apprenticeship early for another reason.

https://www.gov.uk/take-on-an-apprentice/pay-and-conditions-for-apprentices

Mentioning graduates and apprentices are safe is just PR spin.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Catapult...

'strapping another 1,101 staff to the employment catapult'...

Shouldn't that be the unemployment catapult?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps?

UNITE could start up a company, employ those ejected by CSC/HPE and all the others and compete for the services that their old employers have left running with a skeleton staff?

Could it be possible to deliver a better service at less cost (less managers on £200K+/year and other corporate bloating)?

Just an idea but over the years I have gotten rather tired of all this bleating by the Unions. Why don't they do something different and...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Perhaps?

>less managers on £200K+/year and other corporate bloating

But more shop stewarts and union rep's on £200K/year and other union benefits...

1. AMBxx Silver badge
        Joke

Re: Perhaps?

No, we need to nationalise EVERYTHING because as we all know the public sector is so efficient.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Seriously - if a pool of talented staff are made redundant, they should consider founding an IT services startup. There's government funding available. Start with something simple like supporting a single industry standard product that you know is in demand, and undercut the big boys. Every time a large IT services company merges the marketplace becomes less competitive. (PS. Though there's probably an anti-competitive legal minefield to cross).

1. AMBxx Silver badge

It happens already, but the old cliche of 'Get big, get niche or get out' still applies. I freelance. On larger or more complex projects I work with other consultants. Also means I can offer wider services than would otherwise be the case.

Biggest problem is being let down when someone decides they like the security of 5 days a week on site. Whether we like to admit it or not, many contractors like the secure income of longish term contracts without all the BS that goes with being employed by a large company.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Attract the best employees with a great company reputation, no one said.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet Mr Lawrie still takes home a $14m bonus and is set to receive another $30m+ when the merger occurs.. Seems fair.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahh ... Nick Wilson

That would be the same Nick Wilson who left CSC to join HP, having joined CSC back in 2007 as EMEA CEO.

7. Lotaresco Silver badge

Ouch

I did some contract work for CSC a few years ago. Even then it was obvious that the talent was leaving and they were taking on contractors to fill the voids.

Some of the management layers were less useful than a vegetable patch. At least with a vegetable patch you get to eat a decent meal every so often and they can be quite attractive. Also a vegetable patch doesn't wander in and constantly mess about with work in progress. The management I experienced was notable for its talent in messing things up in pursuit of non-business objectives.

I have some good friends still toiling under the lash. I would be sorry to hear that they had been affected by this. I could suggest several people who should go. I have a little list, they'll none of them be missed.

1. LionelB

Re: Ouch

Some of the management layers were less useful than a vegetable patch. At least with a vegetable patch you get to eat a decent meal every so often and they can be quite attractive. Also a vegetable patch doesn't wander in and constantly mess about with work in progress. The management I experienced was notable for its talent in messing things up in pursuit of non-business objectives.

He, he, made me laugh. I worked as a programmer for CSC back in the early 90s, and management numptiness was already off the scale. Immediately after joining I spent almost six months doing absolutely nothing (and being quite handsomely paid for it), despite repeated pleas to at least train me, or ... something. Apparently figuring out how best to "deploy me" was an exhausting and extremely time-consuming process. (At least, whiling away the empty hours in my shiny office, I discovered this new-fangled "World Wide Web" thingy - I recall Mosaic had just been released.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ouch

AC spent six months at CSC doing absolutely nothing; I've been there for 10 years. I reckon I have had literally nothing to do for months at a time amounting probably to a total of 4 years or so. You can't help colleagues who are rushed of their feet because the internal processes won't let you. The company is utterly paralyzed by it's own processes because it puts miles of red tape around everything --- but then it manages that red tape so badly that everything has ground to a stop.

8. Your alien overlord - fear me

It's just a IT joke...

1101 employess to be fired. It's actually 13 (in decimal).

* Just like the 'There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

1. Ian K
      Facepalm

Re: It's just a IT joke...

If you have to explain it...

(This is El Reg; you actually don't...)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

13 in DECimal is 13.

If only there was some clue in the name as to what base your counting in... Oh well. ;)

3. HmmmYes

I think you mean binary.

1101 = 8 + 4 + 1 = 13

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Graduates and apprentices have been excluded from the redundancies.

That'll be keeping the cheap labour then.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Graduates and apprentices have been excluded from the redundancies.

Correct. No bloody clue or experience, but cheap.

10. Infrastructure That

Sinking Ships and mutiny

I have witnessed the absolute devastation caused at by HP management through round over round of redundancy for many years. What a bunch of utter abhorrent excuses for human beings these people are. If managers were lizards!

Insider knowledge tells me that CSC is now rowing in the same direction as HP in what seems to be a carefully played out POA with a multi-year cycle dreamed up by the CEO shareholders i guess years ago when they initially hatched the merger plan. The plan which has only been announced in the last year. What with two car garages and both companies spinning off part of their own business all aimed at the eventual collision of HPE and CSC.

In respect to redundancies at least HP were decent enough to offer a redundancy package, it seems CSC just want people out of the door for the minimum cost possible. I suppose after-all HP were only spending Shareholders money ahead of the merger with the net effect of a share price rise as the CEO's rubbed their hands in anticipation of the great sell off All planned and all having basis in individual and vile greed.

If only shareholders knew that these mob are filling their pockets, robbing everyone blind and smashing the teeth out of the slaves whom they have running around in circles for them.

Yes they are recruiting Grads and apprentices and are clearly ageist when it comes to firing the old guard who incidentally are the ones keeping the ship afloat.

Oh but you young ones, you know your job is to extract the knowledge from the old guard? then to watch whilst higher management bludgeon your older colleagues who were so good to help you in the first place. But what you don't know is the scale of the plans for automation and off-shoring, you should also be very very worried.

Yes even you will be replaced and cast aside by the planned NGDM which includes automation processes and your jobs will be farmed out to far flung India. You think you'll be ok don't you? Not on Whitman and Lawrie's watch you won't i can guarantee you.

A wise woman said to me 6 years ago whilst at HP "get out while you can" that was before the hoards of consultants (McKinsey) were hired to cut the meat off the bone and then to toss the bone into the Pyre as escalation after escalation and red team after red team escalated escalations into escalation queues aimed for people who didn't exist anymore.

God helps those who work at HP and CSC and i wish you all the best of luck and i will now tell you "Get Out While You Can" for the sake of your future career. Otherwise rot and stagnate and be bludgeoned too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sinking Ships and mutiny

"Insider knowledge tells me that CSC is now rowing in the same direction as HP in what seems to be a carefully played out POA with a multi-year cycle dreamed up by the CEO shareholders i guess years ago when they initially hatched the merger plan. The plan which has only been announced in the last year. What with two car garages and both companies spinning off part of their own business all aimed at the eventual collision of HPE and CSC."

Nah, management simply isn't that clever. The merger plan, as well as the HP/HPE split, was simply a reaction to a turnaround effort that was failing.

Agree with much of what you say though. Even the traditionally 'safe' areas (for various reasons there are some) are starting to be scrutinised and the word 'India' mentioned.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: rearranging the deckchairs on Sinking Ships

"Insider knowledge tells me that CSC is now rowing in the same direction as HP in what seems to be a carefully played out POA with a multi-year cycle dreamed up by the CEO shareholders"

LOL, I guess you are a HPE'er then.

I would say to any HPES people, you ain't seen nothing yet. The CSC slaughter has been going on since Lawrie first arrived and is without end.

CSC has already plumbed depths of hell HPE wouldn't imagine in their most nasty dreams.

When revenue in IT outsourcing for any of the big players is falling at a rate of easily 10% per annum and all of the "new" cloud stuff is all about stuff being smaller and cheaper, this will continue in a death spiral for some years to come.

They have to slash and burn staff in order to meet the falling revenues - whether they are HPE, IBM or CSC or anyone. Nobody has a winning strategy because its just all contracting massively. However from what I've seen so far, Meg isn't nearly as brutal as Lawrie.... The shareholders love him for his aggressive actions and the share price rockets. Its less fun to be an employee... or a customer!

These 1101 jobs in the UK are the tip of the iceberg too. The UK is only one part of CSC, this is being played out globally and constantly.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"This change follows significant underperformance in the region "

I thought "significant underperformance" was considered to be success for an outsourcing company, with the official McKinsey level at which the contract was considered adequately fulfilled being "Total fustercluck"?

12. d3vy Silver badge

This is good news for me, I started contracting a few years ago to avoid a tupe to CSC... I'm already picking up contracts from previous employers to fix the mess their offshore guys do (and I cost less if you add the CSC overhead for project management).

I can see this being a good year.

13. Dave Harvey
    Devil

Good Riddance

No-one who saw how CSC (together with other "healthcare expert" companies such as BT) milked the National Programme for IT and killed a once in a generation chance to get things right would shed any tears whatsoever if the whole company went under.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did anyone read the name of the new company

as HER PES? Would explain a lot........

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HPE join the party

Mass redundancies announced in HPE UK&I today

340 in ITO to go by end of March. More from ABO, ABS, GTM, Finance etc

Usual bollocks is being used to justify it all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020