back to article Bane of Silicon Valley patents sets its sights on Rackspace and NetApp

Cloud host Rackspace and storage vendor NetApp are fighting a patent holder who's targeted some of tech's biggest names in the notorious Eastern District of Texas. The duo are standing up to Realtime Data over the firm's claim they violated seven patents it owns, spanning compression and deduplication. Realtime has filed six …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Bonanza is coming to an end

The Supreme court decision in the Samsung vs Apple case forces "damages" to be calculated based on the contribution of a patent to a product. Even if successful, a troll no longer gets all profit from a product for the duration of the "violation". It gets only a fraction proportional to a patent value.

1. This breaks the whole rocket docket concept as now the "value" of the patent and its contribution to a product has to be argued in order for an award to be assigned.

2. If a defendant pulls 2000+ patents at that point as essential to implement a product, good luck trying to claim more than pennies for one infringing patent (regardless of is it stupid, ridiculous, idiotic or actually something real which has been bought by the troll from an asset fire sale).

I do not see how you can feed the parasites feeding off the trolling business with these limitations in place. Check. Mate.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Bonanza is coming to an end

I hope so, but is that definite?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Bonanza is coming to an end

Also http://www.computerworld.com/article/3153924/technology-law-regulation/a-potentially-fatal-blow-against-patent-trolls.html

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Please - KILL IT!

Can we just admit that software patents need to be taken out to the back pasture and have a bullet (OK, it's East Texas, 200 bullets) in the head.

We all said this was a "bad idea" when they allowed software to be patented but I don't think anyone had a clue just how bad it was going to get.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like