back to article Seduced by the Docker side: Microsoft's support could be first shot fired in the Container Wars

Docker was arguably a dumb thing for you to do with your time last year. Developers loved it but enterprises weren’t so sure. That was then, but now Microsoft – mighty in enterprise tech and filled with deep and abiding love for open source – is perhaps Docker's best friend. Not only is Microsoft getting behind Docker-style …

1. Steve Button Silver badge

Bugun, the container wars have.

That is all I took from that. ;-)

2. Hans 1
    Mushroom

Docker/Windows is NOT A CONTAINER, FFS!

cf title .... it is just another HyperV VM.

They already lost before the war began ;-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reassuring to confirm

The old Microsoft is still there.

4. stephanh
    WTF?

confusing article

This article seems to talk about "Docker" when probably "Docker Swarm" is intended.

Kubernetes is not a container technology, it is software for managing a lot of containers, most typically.... Docker containers. Docker Swarm is a competing tool from Docker, Inc.

So that explains why RedHat is both contributing to Docker (the base container infrastructure) AND is backing Kubernetes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: confusing article

The article is mostly talking about Docker the company and Docker Datacenter (orchestration & scheduling). The company has moved on and is now starting to compete with Kubernetes and DC/OS (Mesos).

Makes sense since that is where the money is.

Still, Azure and VSTS are focusing almost exclusively on DC/OS right now. Hopefully they add more options to their cloudy offerings.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: confusing article

Exactly. It seems like there is some confusion. Kubernetes is the container orchestrator, not the container itself. You can run Docker on top of Kubernetes. I think most people on Google Container Engine (Kubernetes as a service) run Docker containers. Swarm and Kubernetes are competitors or at least alternatives. Kubernetes is way out front though.

5. dnmurphy

Huh?

"Microsoft was founded on an operating system – Windows – "

No, Microsoft as a company was founded on basic compiler writing (then others such as Cobol). Then it sold DOS to IBM but kept the rights to Dos on Pcs not manufactured by IBM (eg Compaq) and that was the foundation.

Windows came later and was not a success until Win3

6. RudderLessIT

I read most of the article

But I got the feeling that the author was trying to create the perception of an impending conflict - rather than there actually being one.

One of the things I like about The Register is that is it happy to take the anti-hero stance, but the endless anti-MS, pro AWS and PRO PRO PRO Linux comments are sad, because they appear to be only based on emotion - not fact (I'll never install Windows version blah blah - they will blah blah).

This article does nothing to get readers to look at the entire IT industry/vendors, critically.

1. FrankAlphaXII

Re: I read most of the article

And you'd be right, its usually based on emotion. Especially in regard to this author. Funny how they don't mention his background or who he works for here anymore. It has nothing to do with open source, in fact it has to do with making the internet more dangerous and more expensive, he's a VP at Adobe.

For someone who is supposedly trying to get people away from proprietary software (though he works for one of the largest proprietary software companies there is), he sure spends a lot of time writing about Microsoft and how they're so terrible.

HTH. HAND!

7. whiz

Hilarious

@MySQL in relational databases, MongoDB in NoSQL

U aught to be kidding me.

MySQL in relational ..... MySQL is no where in production systems where Oracle rules.

MongoDB is leading .... Cassandra is close behind and will take a large piece of the cake. Else you might redefine the noSQL space.

1. Robin

Re: Hilarious

I understood that to be in the context of open source, as per the previous sentence.

8. housemouse139

I'm sure mysql is more widely used on the web due to all the sites running wordpress and the people hosting on free sites like 000webhost but postgres is probably going to be the more dominant open source offering in the enterprise. Oracle is also going to be more dominant in the enterprises because it can do what mysql can't although it's not open source.

I also figured they were probably referring to docker swarm vs kubernetes but it just bugs me the way they word it. kubernetes is a container orchestration platform and most people are probably running docker on kubernetes although rkt is becoming a competitor.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like