back to article SporeStack: Disposable, anonymous servers, via Bitcoin and Python

Hardware infrastructure, once the foundation of computing giants like IBM, has become an abstract commodity thanks to cloud computing, virtualization, and containerization. Through large service providers like Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform, or smaller ones like DigitalOcean, Linode, and Vultr …

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Since the whole article is one big advert, I'll point out that chunkhost have been offering virtual servers paid for in bitcoin for years.

2. gerdesj Silver badge

OVPN? RLY?

Is a disposable OpenVPN server really a USP?

OK a dollar a day ... hmmm ... I can buy a quad core Atom fanless thing with 2 GB RAM and a 60GB mSATA and three GB NICs for ~£180 that runs pfSense. I'll be generous and go for nine months payback and I get one heck of a router/firewall at home as well.

1. Lotaresco

Re: OVPN? RLY?

"I can buy a quad core Atom fanless thing "

You can buy a quad core 2GHz J1900 Celeron thing with quad gigabit LAN and 4GB RAM/64GB mSATA for around £180. I've bought several of these and they are, as you say, great for building security appliances.

3. Lotaresco

Oh Goody

Another IP range to block on my firewall.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

using "serverless" architecture?

There's no such thing, its just marketing babble. Everything has to ultimately run on a computer with a cable coming out the back of it no matter how abstracted it is. And as we've found when cloud services have gone down, they might pretend they're floating around in some nebulous cloud divorced from the mundane, but reality has a habit of coming knocking occasionally.

1. Lotaresco

Re: using "serverless" architecture?

" reality has a habit of coming knocking occasionally."

Reality usually comes knocking the moment you want to put sensitive personal data into the cloud.

5. luminous

No SSL in 2017... oh deary me...

6. tr1ck5t3r

Bitcoins is not anonymous. Looks like we have another twat miss selling services.

https://bitcoin.org/en/you-need-to-know

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021