back to article S Korea prosecutors seek arrest warrant for Samsung heir apparent

Samsung's been pulled deeper into "Choi-gate" – the scandal surrounding the South Korean president. Prosecutors in the country today applied for an arrest warrant for Samsung's de facto boss, Lee Jae-yong. The scandal revolves around impeached President Park Geun-hye's informal advisor Choi Soon-sil, whose father, Choi Tae-min …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

the late pastor ... started The Church of Eternal Life.

Not very good then was it.

1. MrT

Late-breaking news: Defence team to be headed up by Lionel Hutz

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really??

This sort of corruption happens in the USA with no repercussions for the guilty. How did these Korean crooks not get away with it? Not paying off the right crooks?

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Really??

I don't know anything about how corruption works at the top levels in Korea, but if I were to guess, I would say that Mr. Lee will be questioned and released, with no further action taken.

If it really goes pear shaped for him, he might be convicted, like his Dad, then slapped on the wrist with a wet bus ticket, like his Dad.

2. Captain DaFt

"How did these Korean crooks not get away with it?"

Because the Korean Corps forgot the step of making their paid for representatives pass laws making 'contributions' and 'fact finding funding' legal?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The corruption in South Korea appears to go much deeper than it in the US, at least if the allegations they are making are true. This is closer to how Russia operates than the United States.

Believe me, I'm as cynical as anyone about the extent of corporate influence in the US government, but this is on a whole different level.

1. Mark 85

@Doug S -- Re: Really??

Well lets face it.. those other countries have been at it a lot longer the US. Hell, we've only had 241 years to get into the game of things. True, S. Korea isn't that old but the whole of Korea is a lot older.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Doug S -- Really??

Don't worry, we're learning fast. Trump's Health and Human Services nominee was discovered to have bought thousands of shares in an Australian drug company in a special sweetheart deal (i.e. not something the rest of us could get) a week before he proposed a bill that would help that company's attempts to penetrate the US medicare/medicaid market.

Maybe Trump will be the one to take us to the next level, with international cooperative corruption through his alliance with Putin (the only person he NEVER criticizes)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess they have some burning questions for the Samsung heir, I guess he can really feel the heat now. It could literally all go up in flames. I do note that these questions have nothing to do with battery though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like