back to article EU policy makers consider FRAND licensing of machine-generated data

EU policy makers are considering introducing a new licensing regime for anonymised "machine-generated data". It is one of the options the European Commission said could be introduced to facilitate greater access to the ever-growing volumes of data generated by "computer processes, applications or services, or by sensors …

1. cantankerous swineherd

more witless drivel about anonymisation.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory?

What's wrong with "keep your grubby hands off my data altogether" ?

3. Alister
    Facepalm

The principle of free movement of personal data enshrined in primary and secondary law should also apply in the cases where the GDPR allows member states to regulate specific matters.

So, what happened to the protection of personal data then?

Oh it's anonymized!

Well that's alright then...

So, if I understand this correctly, I could, in the future, face EU sanctions if I don't allow other people access to data that I generate? Really?

That can't be right, can it?

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Fair's fair.

It seems reasonable to me. If my data has been anonymised (allegedly) and is then part of what's being licensed I should be entitled to my share of the license fee.

5. Tikimon
    Thumb Down

Welcome to your Global ID Number

Unless I read it wrong (very possible) they want your data to be more easily shared, and that implies some kind of "primary key" to hang your profile on. There's no other way to tie various databites about you together. Data will also need a common format for sharing to one and all.

This will be your Global Personal ID Number, introduced by the back door. Your Unique Identifier will inevitably be used by the spooks and cops to compile and correlate the personal dossiers they build about us. Why make a new one, when they can just use the Unique Ad ID?

Surely you've seen it happen with other things. Here in the US, our so-called Social Security Number has become a default personal identifier for healthcare providers and many businesses. The card used to have "Not for identification" printed on the front, but not anymore!

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

No word of the end user being *paid* for this data you'll notice.

The Google mindset really is infectious.

And note they are basically talking about a government "right to know" free of charge.

AFAIK only being able to charge for date trawls has stopped the UK police going on more fishing trips for suspects.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon