back to article DDoS in 2017: Strap yourself in for a bumpy ride

DDoS attacks have been around since at least 2000, and they’re not going away. In fact, as the number of devices online grows, the volume and velocity of these attacks is also increasing. Whole industries have developed around launching and preventing DDoS campaigns as black hats and white hats battle for dominance, and 2017 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love the smell of a good DDoS in the morning!

2. An nonymous Cowerd
    Pirate

The inevitable DDoS-aclypse is one thing, stealing a USN drone is currently more entertaining!

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/16/politics/chinese-warship-underwater-drone-stolen/index.html

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

Obligatory

I we had regime-change in Russia, all of this could be avoided.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is just like Rascal Scooters at Disney World all over again

Dinsey provides free scooters for fat idiots to ride and pretend their "handicapped" when they clearly are not. They are just stupid, fat, assholes too lazy to lift a finger, unless it has a fried chicken piece stuck in there! But Disney WANTS them to come and visit and spend whatever money they have and won't do anything about it.

Same with the lazy IoT vendors. They want anyone and everyone to buy their crap, and they don't want anybody calling into their expensive call support structure, so the devices are plug-N-play. They don't want to spend anything on security, or any more on support, or production, or development, or licenses for properly secured libraries and packages, even though the last ones are typically free, someone has to integrate it. So, what do the fat, stupid, assholes who think they need these devices need to do? NOTHING! They do nothing to secure them themselves, and will call into support just to talk to a human on the slightest of whims.

There is no other option than to have said devices NOT connect until properly setup, or if plug-N-play; a standards board to make recommendations on devices level of acceptability and enforce it on vendors. Do this, or suffer more DDoS attacks. I don't care much. I just like to point out that fat, assholes made my trip to Disney World that much less enjoyable. I guess I should just give in and grab a scooter and just say; fuck it, fuck you, get out of my way world, I'm in a fucking scooter and I want to be at the head of the line because I'm another selfish fucknut that can't control themselves.

The other option is to have a special, secret Internet that only people with an IQ above 95 can connect to, and we ignore all the stupid, fat, assholes and their insecure IoT garbage altogether.

1. Charles 9 Silver badge

Re: This is just like Rascal Scooters at Disney World all over again

How do you stop cheapskate vendors from cheating, then?

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

ddos.jpg keyboard

As long as we remove the offending letter from the Englis language, we're OK.

6. herman Silver badge

This crap can only be stopped by ISPs. Same as ISPs were forced to block port 25 and port 80, they will have to block whatever ports these crap things mostly use. The other option is that a White Hat will eventually write a self replicating worm to fix these things and randomize their passwords.

1. James R Grinter

Until they've blocked everything.

Or, they could actually manage their networks, detect when stuff doesn't look right, and shut down the customers until they fix it (assuming their contracts were wisely drafted)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021