back to article Dell trips over US sanctions by selling PCs to Iranian embassies

Dell has admitted it violated United States sanctions against Iran. The company has filed an IRANNOTICE and explained the violation in its latest Form 10Q. The violation is not serious because the United States' sanctions are very broad, covering “goods, services, technology, information, or support” that could in any way …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Dell will likely escape this time, but before long even a trivial breach may be viewed less kindly. Even if it earns an American company a profit of €1,231."

I wonder what Boeing's profits will be like from that 16bn deal with Iran Air.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>I wonder what Boeing's profits.....

Iran-Contra Affair anyone ?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Windows

This isn't over yet? No it isn't.

I think the US is the last regime on Earth to do the sanctions thing as these were officially lifted back in January?

It's all about regime change in Syria on behalf of our two pals. You know the two. Both are big in iinfluence among "elected" representatives.

Iran gives Syria support against ISIS and CIA-funded riffraff and that's a no-no. (and to all evidence performs Wehrmacht-style "cleaner" operations via militias, somewhat of a problem).

The neocons & friends freakshow is out in force trying to influence decisions early: Neocons trying to sneak into Trump administration, US Hawks Lay Out Plan for Getting Into a War With Iran However, what the actual policy Mister T. will eventually choose, if any, is anyone's guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: This isn't over yet? No it isn't.

Mr Trump will either bomb them back to the stone age or build a hotel - hard to tell which way he'll go at the moment but I'm subscribed to his twitter feed so I'll probably know before Washington does.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: This isn't over yet? No it isn't.

Syria is already destroyed. Just look at the pictures of Aleppo. It reminds me of Berlin in 1945.

If Drump does one thing then that should be to only take out Asad. Anything else and Drump's best mate (and pal of the new Secretary of State) will piss off Putin big time.

I've visited one of the Refugee camps in Jordan. It was not a nice place but everyone there was just happy to be out of Asad and IS controlled land.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

> Iran-Contra Affair anyone ?

Completely different. Read up on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Completely different. Read up on it.

Not really, I'm old enough to actually remember it without having to bone up thanks, it's still American doubletalk. Thou shall not flog to the Iranians, unless of course it supports US strategic objectives and subsidises the US aerospace industry, thus the US defence industry. Oh and it fires a warning shot across the Saudi's bows just to keep them a bit paranoid, you should read up on "The Great Game"

2. Magani
    Mushroom

Iran's never gone without.

You only have to watch the dhows leaving Dubai and Khasab heading north to figure that out.

1. theModge

Re: Iran's never gone without.

Quite true, but imported goods cost a fortune there - relative even to inflated UK prices.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The US sanctions against Iran are full of holes - usually carved out by special interests in Washington. Selling into Iran is simply a case of reading the sanction list and if it's on the banned list then you sell it through a third party.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Dell's mistake

Dell's mistake is not selling to Iran, it is not selling billions to Iran.

A paltry $5K ? No wonder Dell is being tarred.

5. Cuddles

Something seems off

€5000 for multiple PCs and a server, plus some other bits? Clearly there's some kind of cover-up going on here, that's normally the Dell price for a couple of mice and half a keyboard.

1. Rich 11

Re: Something seems off

24% profit is barely worth getting out of bed for. There must have been some sort of currency fiddle in there as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Something seems off

They could be off-lease/off-consignment systems through Dell Financial Services.

6. Youngone Silver badge

Petoleum?

The article says the sanctions are to stop Iran developing its petroleum resources which made me wonder if the US is still not over Mohammad Mosaddegh nationalizing their oil industry.

They really know ho to hold a grudge don't they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Petoleum?

Not Petroleum. Just freedom. Pure Freedom. Don't be a foreign treasonist now mmmmkay.

7. mics39
    WTF?

Don't bother buying American

So Boeing can sell them bunch of 777s but very mediocre Dell PCs and servers a no-no?

And US is now, ooops sorry, was the just made-up friend?

They should've just gone to a local Chinese restaurant. Surely there will be someone there with brother-in-law or third cousin back home who can get in touch with someone who can get them much better deal, even with water-cooling and fashier glow in dark cases.

Is it any wonder the Chinese get so much support from third world nations at the UN?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Annual training be damned

Hey, Dell sales dude that made this sale!

Remember that Export Compliancy training you did in new hire, and EVERY SINGLE YEAR thereafter?

This is what they were talking about....

Please put down the Nerf gun and pay attention at your next job!

9. mhenriday
    Boffin

«Dell trips over sanctions ...»

Can't but wonder who tripped over what - given their experience with Stuxnet, one would have thought that Iranian authorities would be the ones to worry about purchasing kit - and not least, «support contracts» - from a US firm....

Verbum sapienti satis est....

Henri

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like