back to article AT&T took too much money from customers, will pay them back by ... taking less money

AT&T will pay out $88m to settle an FTC complaint that it allowed excessive "cramming" charges on customer bills. The US trade bod says that some 2.7 million customers will be getting a share of the $88m settlement it struck with the wireless carrier to end allegations that AT&T allowed third-party services to put excessive …

1. redpawn Silver badge

This will teach them...

not!

Enjoy your discount this month. Rates go up in January.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How long more America??? ... This type of con has been going on for 3 decades or more

* Expect to hear similar tales next year from some other corporate scam. As long as there's no jail time or direct fines for Fortune 500 executives, nothing will ever change. America thinks its great, but this kind of pettiness hits that idea right out of the park....

* Its always interesting to meet people from Asia / South America who strive to one day live and work in the Greatest Country On Earth. They've no idea that safety in their own cities is often better and the cost of living can't compare with the lie that is America!

* Basically America screws over the little guy time and again, and only the rich can afford to sue and rectify the injustice.... Long live America? No! One day historians will look back and point to this as a series of tipping points in the 'Fall of Rome'....

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: How long more America??? ... This type of con has been going on for 3 decades or more

Considering the new corporate fellating friendly administration appointments, a few more decades at least.

3. Mark 85 Silver badge

There's a catch....

How much did AT&T collect before the FTC complaint started? I'm betting they're not paying it all back.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There's a catch....

Good ol' NSAT&T. This is just a diversion to have you look away from the many spy programs they gladly join or craft and sell to the government and shady police departments.

I divested from them in January 2016. I shall never be a customer, or a dupe for their spy operations, ever again.

Rot in Hell all NSAT&T employees at every level! You're all scum!

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: There's a catch....

You would win that bet handily.

4. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

How can I make that more complicated?

"...for all but 200,000 of the customers, payment in the settlement will come in the form of credits applied to their monthly bills, while the remainder of recipients will get a check in the mail".

I think this means 200,000 customers will get a check. The rest will have their account adjusted. Have I missed anything important? Why the waffle?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: How can I make that more complicated?

I think those 200,000 people have left AT&T since the lawsuit began, so there is no bill on which to place a credit.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Account Credit"

Fuck off.

You took money you were not entitled too and then earned interest on that money.

So by NOT refunding in cash they A: maintain customers because those customers have been credited so have been "locked in" and B: earn MORE interest by not refunding the actual $$.

EE (T-Mobile) once over charged me for 3 months on the row, when i questioned it i was told the £60 "would be automatically applied to my account" as a credit.

They were promptly told go fornicate off and after a few legal threats they refunded the money.

The money should ALWAYS be refunded. Not automatically applied as a credit like they are doing us some massive favour.

1. Wee Heavy

Re: "Account Credit"

Taking money you are not entitled to is theft. You or I would spend time behind bars. Corporate slobs just get bonuses for fucking you and me. Please pass the lube...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rings a bell

During the OPEC oil embargo of 1973-74 many gas stations in the US were found to be guilty of price gouging (yeah, that was illegal then: under Rep. President Richard Nixon). In many cases their punishment was to offer fuel at cut-rate prices until they'd made up for their profiteering.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's only theft when you do it

When Corporate America does it to you, it's to stuff millions into Exec bonuses with zero personal consequence and therefore 'good'

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020