back to article UCL snags head of Europol for a seminar on privacy

The head of Europol will be contributing to a seminar at UCL on "the state of the current privacy landscape", which will run in January. The event – Privacy Online and Offline: The Citizen, the Personal and the Public Interest – is being run by UCL's Institute of Brand and Innovation Law. The talks will take place over 23-24 …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In related Europol news...

Wow - good catch!

It does, however, reinforce my belief that designing secure systems and processes that seek to ignore that normal human beings are fallible is not doing the job right. You have to plan for people being people, not assume you're going to solve a problem that has been around for as long as there have been secrets. A classic example of that is assistants leaving No 10 Downing Street without covering up their notes - that's now happening so often I can't help but wonder if this isn't deliberate. In the decades that I have done confidential work I have not once walked out of an office without my loose leaf* notebook firmly closed.

* Loose leaf because you don't want to take notes of one customer into meetings with another, following the simple principle of segregation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021