back to article AWS shines light on Virginia solar scheme

Amazon is planning to open five new solar power farms to help run its AWS cloud data centers. The five latest facilities will be located in Virginia and will feed electricity to the US East regional cloud centers in Virginia and Ohio. Amazon said the new panels will be set up in New Kent, Buckingham, Sussex, Powhatan, and …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Solar and clouds?

Won't they be drawing off those anyway? Given the global nature of most cloud services the power draw is fairly consistent throughout a 24 hour period. Some of that might be covered by the solar power generators (I can't see any info relating to whether there are enough panels to cover usage on a cloudy winter's day) but obviously not the overnight period.

I can't help but feel it's a bit of a marketing exercise.

2. Ilmarinen
    Stop

Well good, maybe, if it's your own money...

...if you can turn a profit using solar energy that's great - maybe show us all how it's done.

But if you need to take any subsidy, other people's money, then you'd just be troughing at the public teat, like Musk. So I hope you wouldn't do that.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Well good, maybe, if it's your own money...

Looks like these produce power solely for Amazon - they are not grid connected. So no public subsidies by the look of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Did you miss this bit? :...and where the energy contribution goes onto the same electric grid that powers AWS data centers [sic],

This is just feeding straight onto the local grid, not directly in Amazons sites. The sites are 'nearby', not next door.

2. Tom 7

Strange - I bought some solar a few years ago. Without subsidy its better than having the money in the bank even thought I dont use all that it produces on a sunny day. And this is in darkest Devon where we get a lot more cloud than they do and it should pay for itself in less than 10 years before I add FIT in to the equation. Its a lot cheaper to buy these days than when I bought and a company like them will get it even cheaper in bulk so it would be dumb of them not to.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Even without FIT, solar saves you more money per year in utility savings, than putting the installation cash in a 5% savings account.Not that you can find a 5% saving account these days of course!

3. gudguy1a

Trump & Coal

Why would they even bother listening to Trump in bringing back harmful (black lung disease for one out of 'many'), inefficient and non-renewable (not in our lifetime anyway) fossil fuels...???

Why not just keep moving forward with their energy renewable projects and not be forced to rely on coal and power plants...? Maybe use a little of that nuke juice from the nuke plants someone posted prior to me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like