back to article Curb your enthusiasm, 'India's smartphones are changing the world' fans

India has just recorded its first-ever 30-million-smartphones-shipped quarter, according to abacus-shuffling firm IDC. Don't get too excited about that representing a breakthrough and serious momentum towards a wired India, because the firm says “channel preparation for the festive season, mega online sales and early import of …

1. Mage Silver badge

Carphone warehouse

They have an event horizon.

You can only get large, larger or enormous smart phones that all look identical. Or a range of tablets that look identical.

They don't even sell keyboard covers for phones or tablets.

No phones, that can primarily and easily be used as a phone.

A feature phone with MP3 player, camera, FM Radio, eBook reader (epub or mobi) and SD card slot would be nice.

I never use data on my smart phone (I do have a tablet and laptop). I'd like a flip or slider phone. I find the smartphones awkward for actual phone calls. But then I'm not a social media addict. Who sells feature phones that work on European GSM, 3G and maybe 4G. It's possible due to stupid Ofcom and Comreg licenses that you need 3G (900/1800/2100) and GSM (900/1800) for decent coverage. The 4G coverage seems a bit of joke and there is no native voice mode anyway, optimised for smart phones and data packages.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Carphone warehouse

Last time I wandered into CW, I wandered out again to check the sign as i thought I'd walked into an Apple Store by mistake (well I wouldn't go in on purpose).

Should rename themselves to Smartphone Showroom...

2. Bruce Ordway

Re: Carphone warehouse

>> MP3 player, camera, FM Radio, eBook reader (epub or mobi)

>> SD card slot would be nice.

I'm hoping for a phone that will finally make my current gear desktop.

i.e. ability to connect to my wi-fi, output to multiple monitors, use an external keyboard and power up from a wall socket.

Until then I'm happy with the conventional equipment while I'm in my home office and a simple flip phone when when I'm "out and about".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like