back to article Scality developing way to stream objects to tape and the cloud

Scality is developing a software-defined storage controller (SDS) to archive objects off to the public cloud or tape using the S3 protocol. The idea is to use policies to select objects that are streamed off to an S3-accessed target from an on-premises Scality RING storage system. Metadata about the streamed objects would be …

1. cloudguy

Tiering to AWS S3 or Glacier or Google Coldline or tape...

Well, I think Paul Turned did a fine job at Cloudian as their CMO for two years before he moved to Scality. Cloudian currently tiers data to AWS S3 or Glacier, other S3 compliant object storage clusters and now Google Coldline. Apparently, Scality is just getting around to doing it now that Mr. Turner is there. Coincidence or not?

Spectra Logic can tier data to tape libraries using their Black Pearl DS3 appliance. Spectra Logic added a couple of extensions to the S3 command set to deal with tape drives. You can use their SDK to write clients that will work with the Black Pearl DS3 to move data objects to LTFS formatted tapes in a library. So how is this "news" that Scality is planning to stream data objects to tape?

HPE has a $10M equity investment in Scality, so I'm sure whatever Scality is doing to potentially broaden the market for using Scality RING will be welcomed by HPE, which may eventually wind up buying the company.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HDS' Hitachi Content Platform has been tiering to public clouds (AWS, Google and Azure) for close to 3 years now. It has also been tiering to tape systems that support NFS frontends for even longer than that.

Disclaimer: I work for HDS so I would know...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

News?

Scality "developing" tech that's been around for years is considered news?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon