back to article SonicWall goes it alone as Elliott and pal swallow Dell/Quest Software

Dell-owned infosec outfit SonicWall is to stand on its own two feet as Elliott Management and Francisco Partners slurp the remains of the artists formerly known as Dell Software Group. The rumours of Dell Software’s sale were confirmed back in June, with the deal being thought to be worth around $2bn. SonicWall, formerly a …

1. chivo243 Silver badge

B B Bingo!

...and is laser focused on innovating next-generation...

That's Business Bullshit Bingo for sure.

I wish them well, I know lots of guys are using sonic's.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: B B Bingo!

We almost got Sonicwall in my last job.

I'm pretty sure we didn't because it was many times the price of the Smoothwall we did buy, and offered nothing extra for the money.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SonicWall

They used to have really good products. Are they still any good ?

1. nichomach

Re: SonicWall

We've been using them for a few years, and I'd say ours is pretty good.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: SonicWall

As well as selling them and supporting them, we use SonicWall's internally here (own dogfood, etc etc). Pretty happy with them, can't really complain in the grand scheme. The main firewall and ssl-vpn product ranges are pretty good, pretty reliable, pretty cost-effective, pretty feature rich, have a nice UI, and have no real issues - unless maybe you're trying to do low-rent (read: 'stupid') hosted VoIP stuff through them and out over the Internet (really? business voice over the public Internet? FFS). The company are pretty good to deal with as well (yes, even in the Dell years). Some of the non-core product ranges (and GMS) are rather forgetful, though, and will hopefully now vanish faster than a sandwich in a busy M&S food hall. You maybe wouldn't want a Sonicwall in place of a dedicated, multi-homed BGP router or high-end IDS/IPS system (etc etc) but they cover most of the necessary things for most people most of the time, and then some, and they now scale quite high. They're pretty much a staple part of the diet around here, and I'd far rather have a SonicWall than some unintelligible Cisco monstrosity.

(A/C... because someone, somewhere will always beg to differ in an impolite way).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like