back to article What has 500,000 thumbs and is no longer being sued by HP? Panasonic

HP says that Panasonic will no longer be a target in its optical drives lawsuit – after the two sides reached a settlement deal. The companies announced the arrangement yesterday in a filing to the California Northern District Court, where Judge Richard Seeborg is presiding over HP's claim that a group of optical drive makers …

1. Frank N. Stein

Really??

So, the cartel of capitalist disc reader/writer companies raised part prices, which isn't inspiring a flood of PC sales? Must be the media reader manufacturer's fault?

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Really??

It's a rather old suit. But the major complaint is price fixing which affects everyone buying a dvd burner/reader. Notice that plaintiffs include retailers not just OEMs.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Really??

"Notice that plaintiffs include retailers not just OEMs."

Yeah, the retailers and OEMs might be the ones to get compo out if this. But in reality they lost little to nothing because the end purchaser paid the final inflated price + profit margin to the retailer/OEM. I can't imagine any of the plaintiffs will be passing on the benefits of this case to the people who were actually ripped off.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hang on a minute, didn't HP just pass the price on to the end user and isn't it really our money and not HP's ?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

As you said ...

HP did all that work passing the price on to end users. Surely they should be rewarded with a slice of the pie too

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: As you said ...

>HP did all that work passing the price on to end users

Sorry, my mistake. I'd forgotten that they are the printing ink gangsters and are known for their altruistic behaviour on pricing ☹

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

As my great-grandmother used to say, "Pack schlägt sich, Pack verträgt sich."

1. genghis_uk

Has she been at the sherry again?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like