back to article That time Brian Krzanich had dinner with Elon Musk, Marc Benioff, David Blaine and Lars from Metallica

Intel CEO Brian Krzanich doesn't read books. "I don't read. I don't read books. I don't have time," said BK – as everyone at the chip company calls him – on the second day of the Intel Capital Global Summit. "The last book I read was on the technology of welding; I decided one day I would teach myself how to weld." That …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Krzanich sounds like the usual semi-sociopathic CEO bullshitter type who always seems to get to the top in large corporations.

He's so used to having people hang on every word, he's forgotten the need for actual content.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

I'm too old for this crap

Krzanich said three things led him to decide to take diversity seriously

Unless there are serious reasons to suppose this will somehow magically improve products and service, I call cheap virtue-signalling. And maybe angling for Obama's tax largesse (I don't know, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest).

The brains of Millenials and Progressives may light up with a serotonin rush when they hear of applied reverse racism and sexism in the tech industry (asians probably do not need to apply, they are kick-arse enough, so are jews, I suppose we are talking about people euphemistically called "tall") ... that doesn't mean it's necessarily and objectively a good idea.

In particular as as candidates to diversify the ranks are not easy to find.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm too old for this crap

In this minor tentacle of a large tech company that has a diversity promotion hiring policy, I must say that everyone hired recently - regardless of gender etc. has been of uniformly high quality. But it does takes the bosses ages to find the right people.

This is a typical "sample of one" and in previous companies I've seen people hired or promoted as tokenism rather than diversity. I felt sorry for those colleagues, many times they weren't up to the jobs they had been hired into, through no fault of their own.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Go

I'm a champion of diversity

When I hire into my 'developer' (not a fan of this term, because everyone is a life developer) team I just tell an agency to send along any 10 people they have. I don't limit myself to IT agencies either because that introduces sample bias: last time I used ordered 10 different meals through Deliveroo and hired whoever turned up to deliver them. The meals of course I immediately sent to Syria to save orphaned children. I never look at CVs, nor do I interview people, because that introduces selection bias. Once my hires start I never tell them what to do or even talk to them at all, because that would be forcing my white western belief system on people who are already wise owls through their own culture: It would be legitimised social assault.

I'm just glad that Yahoo! is so confident of its continued success and relevance that they encourage such freestyle genius. Policies like this have made the company what it is today.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm a champion of diversity

If you're going to write something smart or clever, then.... errr, write something smart or clever.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm a champion of diversity

Just like you did.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon