back to article Online scammers speed up: Hit gold every 15 seconds

There were over one million fraud attempts in the UK in the first six months of 2016, or one every 15 seconds - more than 50 per cent higher than the same period of last year. Between January and June 2016 there were 1,007,094 fraud cases in the UK compared to 660,308 in the first six months of 2015. Each case represents a …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The best thing the FFA could do would be to get the banks' marketing departments to train their customers not to get phished, the opposite of what they do now. The next best thing (by a slim margin) would be to get them to fire their marketing departments.

2. Tony S

I still get calls from a certain bank for a credit card; and their staff get really frustrated when I refuse to answer their "security questions".

I get even more pissy when they say it's for "Data Protection"; especially when I ask them to tell me which section of the Act requires that.

3. DJO Silver badge

Not too tricky to stop

The banks need to create thousands of honeypot accounts and put the details on thousands of insecure PCs.

Any account trying to access a honeypot gets closed, all assets seized and if traceable the owners arrested and prosecuted.

4. Doctor_Wibble
    Angel

Test no.1, "Have I heard of you?"

And Financial Fraud Action UK fails. Company formed last year apparently.

NB You still report stuff to => Action Fraud.

The cure to 99% of phishing is to ban HTML email and its causers. Yes, probably with fire, if that's your thing.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Test no.1, "Have I heard of you?"

The cure to 99% of phishing is to ban HTML email and its causers. add a PKI infrastructure to mail servers and extend SMTP so that signing becomes the default on email. Mail that fails signature check gets bounced at the recipient's server.

1. Doctor_Wibble
        Trollface

Re: Test no.1, "Have I heard of you?"

Absurdly trivial, why didn't I think of that?

Also watch out, 'PKI' and 'PKl' are two very different things!

5. alain williams Silver badge

£3 out of £10 not noticed by banks

Katy Worobec said: “Last year, banks stopped £7 in £10 of attempted fraud from happening." That makes it sound reasonably effective, if she had said “Last year, banks failed to stop £3 in £10 of attempted fraud from happening." then people would rightly be much more worried.

Why is the director of the organisation that is supposed to fight financial fraud trying to make it sound as if the problem is being addressed -- when it is not ? Does she really care or is she taking pressure from the banks to make things sound good ?

1. 's water music
      Devil

Re: £3 out of £10 not noticed by banks

Why is the director of the organisation that is supposed to fight financial fraud trying to make it sound as if the problem is being addressed -- when it is not ? Does she really care or is she taking pressure from the banks to make things sound good ?

I very much doubt that, I mean why would the UK Payments industry set up an independent body if they simply wanted to arms-length* their lobbying? That would be verging on dishonest self-interest and the whole basis of the industry is trust shirley?

*Sorry for verbing**

**not that time

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like