back to article UK.gov's Digital Catapult wheels out Central London IoT network

The government-backed Digital Catapult wheeze has launched an “Internet of Things network” across London to titivate the lives of the eight million poor souls trapped within the M25. We are told that 50 LoRaWAN base stations will be deployed to “overcome issues including infrastructure provision, traffic and transport services …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Well, I've looked at the LoRa website and can't see anywhere that you can push broadcast messages to the IoT devices from the back end servers.

For example, if there's been a major accident with road closures etc., wouldn't it be better to broadcast a road closed to all applicable IoT devices (bikes, pedestrians etc) so they know not to go that route or even that area to avoid conjestions.

From what I'm reading, it requires each IoT to individually make a connection and ask for info which is a waste of bandwidth (considering they are limited to available bandwidth rates).

And as a star of stars network configuration, man-in-the-middle attacks will be rife.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Oh goodie

Lots of luvery user info to slurp.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"... the Second Coming of Christ ..."

Won't that erase all the video tapes?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Located in King's Cross"

so it sounds like its function is to slurp up other peoples' ideas and pass them on to Google then.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like