back to article Will the real builders of IoT please stand up?

If you’re really doing the Internet of Things, we’d really like to hear about it at Building IoT London next March. Our call for papers is open now and we’d like to hear from practitioners in the user, vendor, academic and consulting industries, who are genuine pathfinders when it comes to turning the hype and theory around …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. J I
    Coat

Definitions

Can we redefine "IoT" as "Internet of Tat"? That's pretty much what most so-called IoT devices amount to as far as I can tell...

2. AndyS

Odd definitions

It's a strange thing. I genuinely don't like the concept of IoT - most of what it seems to represent ("smart" light bulbs, self aware kettles etc) seem to represent solutions where there is no problem, at great expense and sacrifice of data/security/privacy.

However... I like my Chromecasts. I like the fact my car can get live traffic updates through my phone. I like being able to check the webcam in the baby's room from the garage, so that I don't have to stay in the house all evening. I like having several TB of storage on our network, which I can access from anywhere. I also like how my phone has become a massively connected communication thingimy.

So I guess the issue, to me, is that IoT has become such a toxic "brand", associated with such nonsense, that I no longer apply it, in my head, to the things I actually find useful. I simply refer to those by name, or maybe something like "internet connected gadgets."

It's surely time serious developers stopped banging on about colour-changing lightbulbs (which cost £100 each, and stop working when the parent company stops making enough profit from the exact model you have) and start actually talking about specific, useful applications to our every day lives. Google seem to be very good at this - when did they last refer to any of their products as IoT devices?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Odd definitions

Blame the marketing droids for this one. That and Venture Capitalists...

They saw what they thought was the "next big thing" without understanding how/when connectivity could be useful.

1. Teiwaz Silver badge

Could the builders of IO-tat please stand up....

...We're going to do a re-enactment of Monty Pythons 'How not to be seen'.

- Cue John Cleese maniacal laughter....

3. Warm Braw Silver badge

If you’re really doing the Internet of Things...

... you probably work for Messrs Bodgett & Scram.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If you’re really doing the Internet of Things...

Don't laugh, but the handyman at one place I worked at his real name was Bodgett...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And at a shade over £650 (plus any travel/accomodation expenses and employee time) I guess it is just going to be great., and useful and ummmm errrr

1. AndyS

Why? Professional conferences do tend to be rather expensive. They all are. It's an expensive thing to organise.

Even if you are skeptical of the subject matter (as I am - see my comment above), that price, for a 3 day conference, is not particularly over the top.

5. FireWorks
    IT Angle

IoT is more than light bulbs

IoT is taking Information Technology practices and applying them to other disciplines. Like connecting up all the freezers and fridges in a grocery store to monitor temperature and apply access controls. It's monitoring a fleet of trucks and the trailers to improve efficiency and to monitor drivers. You may not want a smart lighting system in your home but office buildings are cutting costs with them. IoT is monitoring the flow of cell phones through public spaces for analysis. IoT is camera's on light posts that can monitor for open parking spaces. IoT is us applying what we know to the rest of the world.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Will the real builders of IoT please ...

... stop it!

7. Medical Cynic

The IoT needs two major elements to make it work and become successful.

First is to ensure security - no backdoors from the 'fridge to your network.

Second is to have standardisation of communications between all devices - regardless of manufacturer.

These will need to be agreed like the internet protocols across the interweb, and could be similar to, for example, HL7, XDS and DICOM in the medical field.

That way, users wouldn't be locked in to one supplier [or conversely have different little installations that run independently of each other] and also if a supplier went bust, the kit could still be used with another controller or app.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020