back to article MedSec's 'hackable pacemaker' report autopsy: Bombshell crash claim in doubt

Researchers at the University of Michigan (U-M) have poured doubt on one claim by MedSec that St Jude Medical's implanted pacemakers and defibrillators are remotely breakable. Last week MedSec went public with a report saying that life-giving devices sold by St Jude Medical could be wirelessly compromised by hackers – who …

1. Nuno trancoso

Isn't this the kind of shenanigans that usually land people on the "not so good" side of the SEC?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...plus stressing the crap out of a group of people who have dodgy tickers probably counts as terrorism. Wouldn't surprise me if there were charges other than financial shenanigans and defamation, anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't surprise me if there were charges other than financial shenanigans and defamation, anyway.

It's the US. Lawsuits are inevitable :).

I personally hope that the SEC takes these clowns to the cleaners in a substantial way or we will see more of these attempts to manipulate stock. The only stock that appears impervious to security revelations is MFST, but that took a good 2 decades of security problems to achieve :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: stressing the crap out of a group of people who have dodgy tickers

Terrorism...

Austerity...

Cost cutting...

There's many ways of looking at these things.

Mines the lead lined coat to protect my pace maker.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of a daydream I had about a possible future:

Hitmen hired by pension funds are trying to kill you off (to cut costs) while bodyguards from life insurance companies keep you alive (so they don't have to pay out). You only need to make sure that neither company knows the identity of the other so that they cannot make a deal behind your back.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

You could probably get a book out of that.

2. David 132 Silver badge
    WTF?

I know which risk I'd accept...

If, heaven help me, I was in a situation where the physician said to me

"You have a cardiac problem & are at significant risk of dying or being enfeebled if you don't get treatment. We can implant this pacemaker...oh, but if we do so, there's a trivial chance that a malicious hacker (who's specifically aware of the model of pacemaker you have, where you live, and your routine) could interfere with it wirelessly and maybe crash it..."

...I think I know how I'd evaluate those risks!

And that's even IF we take MedSec's claims at face value.

For what it's worth, I think their whole approach of notifying a brokerage house first, rather than the manufacturer or even the regulatory authorities, is utterly scummy and they deserve to be smacked senseless by the FTC, the FDA, and probably for good measure the FBI too.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security blackmail

"For what it's worth, I think their whole approach of notifying a brokerage house first, rather than the manufacturer or even the regulatory authorities, is utterly scummy "

I expect to see a lot more of this. Even if the security researchers have vestigial ethics, hedge funds are often borderline financial crime and would be likely to overrule any objections with large quantities of money. The whole financial industry lines up to defend shorting whenever there are serious attempts to regulate, because they might want to do it themselves one day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Security blackmail

This. there are many ways to go about disclosing vulnerabilities - this one ranks alongside grey market parasites who buy your vulnerabilities so they can disclose them to 'various government agencies' that they work with.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

crooked dealings

"partnered with investment firm Muddy Waters Capital to short St Jude's stock. This allowed the pair to cash in when they made their vulnerability findings public"

Sounds like insider trading to me - they were about to publish something that would adversely affect the share price, and leaked that info to a 3rd party plus used it for personal gain. Pretty much the definition of insider. So never mind the veracity of their claim, they should be going to jail.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: crooked dealings

Weeelllll.... keen though I am to see MedSec and Muddy Waters strung up by their figgins for this one (see my post above), I'm not sure that this would count as insider trading.

Insider trading, as I understand it (as an Internet armchair commenter, not a financial expert) is: making use of information that a) materially affects the value of the company, and b) isn't publicly available. So:

scenario a) Bob works for AcmeCorp, and knows that their widely-touted, under-development next-gen product is actually a crock of shit. He quietly uses that knowledge to short AcmeCorp stock.

or

scenario b) Alice, a researcher, does some digging into an AcmeCorp product that's already on the market, and discovers that it's actually a crock of shit. She uses that knowledge to short Acmecorp stock.

In the first instance, the information used is definitely "not publicly available" - as only someone inside the company would be aware of it. That's pretty much the canonical definition of insider trading, and Bob would get the book thrown at him.

In the second instance, one could argue that the info is publicly available - anyone with the time and interest to spare, could have taken an in-depth look at the product and figured out that it's a CoS... it just happens to be that Alice was the first one to do so. Alice is under no obligation to loudly announce to the world at large "hey, this product is actually a CoS, and I think AcmeCorp stock is overvalued" before she quietly places her own bets on the stock.

Short version: I think that what MedSec and Muddy Waters did is sleazy, and gives the impression that they're more concerned about making money than improving patient safety or medical security. But I don't think it's insider trading. Anyone care to demonstrate otherwise?

5. Sgt_Oddball
    Joke

Why not...

Just turn it off then back on again?

Everytime I get a bit of kit that doesn't want to talk to the outside world, that usually works for me.

Happy

Re: Why not...

Resetting it isn't the problem...the problem is that reaching the reset button requires a very long rod and a very uncomfortable orifice. In fact most attempts end up just going through the motions... :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Place the reset button in the crotch? (a la BOFH)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Place the reset button in the crotch? (a la BOFH)"

If you ever have an angiogram, and they go in through the femoral artery, use an angio-seal to tidy up, it does feel like they have done exactly that!

1. Sgt_Oddball
            Joke

There must be some method to cause a hard reset of the device? Maybe have it near a large magnet or just run a quick defib on it. I'm sure it'll be fine......probably

6. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Incorrect

"The whole point of the security industry is to build trust by protecting systems."

I don't know where you got that idea from - these days the whole point of the security industry is to make money.

7. disgruntled yank

Let's hope

They lose their shorts.

8. Herby

These things (pacemakers) work in weird ways...

First the communication is by inductive coupling (not radio) which has a VERY limited range (inches). Yes, the parameters can be changed, and lots of information is there, but by and large they are not big computing devices. The pacemakers St. Jude makes (at least while I worked there about 16 years ago) run on CMOS 6502 chips. They have ALL SORTS of power conserving tricks they use since the power source is quite limited (and is about half of the implantable device). The processor wakes up for every heartbeat and does minimal stuff.

The biggest thing that happens is when it detects atrial fibrillation and needs to shock the heart to get rid of the problem. In that case the patient is VERY conscious and gets a very rude jolt (as it was described to me). It doesn't happen often, but when it does, you will know about it. The more serious ventricular fibrillation (see your nice medical show) when external paddles are usually used, a pacemaker can also give a jolt, but in that case, the patient is usually unconscious so the patient usually doesn't feel a thing.

The software inside these devices goes under quite a lot of scrutiny and LOTS of tests to see that it works properly. The chances of significant problems are really quite small.

I wish operating system vendors would be as thorough (is Redmond listening??).

Re: These things (pacemakers) work in weird ways...

Thanks Herby for taking the time to post your actual, real-world knowledge of the industry. Always good to find chunks of fact amongst the purée of speculation!

9. a_yank_lurker

Not Surprised

The whole episode smells of a reverse pump and dump so a criminal short selling scheme can be used. Maybe a good old fashioned, enrich the shysters class the lawsuit should be filed with the management team being held personally responsible (difficult to do but not impossible).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon