back to article Speaking in Tech: Fancy a 30 hour work week? Ask Amazon

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise This week Greg is in Japan while Ed drives the podcast along with Yadin Porter de Leon and his special guest, David Allen of “Getting Things Done”. This week the team talks extensively about the GTD methodology, VMworld, Uber and Amazon work hours. The details… (0:00) …

1. m0rt

"Amazon experimenting with 30 hour work weeks"

I have to say that the conclusions you drew from Amazon's experiment were not based on a thorough understanding of the diversity of styles in business.

You talk about incentivising and should someone who gets so much done in 30 hours which takes another person 40 hours feel incentivised to do so. However, there are a lot of firms that if you get so much done in a shorter space of time than other people, you end up with more work shoved your way. Things like yearly bonuses or promotions are very varied. I can see a reasoning behind this. I agree with you that this wouldn't work in a lot of cases, but I don't think that you should be so dismissive of it.

Ultimately the goal in life is fulfillment. However this is found. If you can lead a more fulfilling life, whilst on a decent living wage doing less hours, then why not? For many the thought of doing more hours, doing more work and trying to climb the ladder as a horrifying prospect. For others, this is their opium.

Amazon is one of the largest companies, and they employ a LOT of different posititons. Not everyone wants, or can, climb the corperate ladder but that doesn't meant that they are not good at what they do. In a lot of locations where there are not a lot of other options to move to other jobs that you may get more fulfillment out of.

"Should work be the focus of your life?" - this is a very personal question and there would be a lot of opinions on both sides, but ultimately, it only matters at the individual level.

2. Calleb III

"Amazon experimenting with 30 hour work weeks"

"The teams’ members will receive the same benefits as full-time employees, and 75% of a 40-hour workers’ pay."

and no doubt expected to do the exact same amount of work as the 40-hour workers...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022