back to article Google to block web views from using its OAuth

Google's decided that web-views should no longer be able to use OAuth requests, and is deprecating them in Android, iOS, Windows and OS X as of October. What that means is that while (for example) Android's embedded browser will be able to handle OAuth requests, third party app logins won't be able to use web-views for OAuth …

1. Oengus

More for Google

“Users only need to sign-in to Google once per device, improving conversion rates of sign-in and authorization flows in your app.

and giving Google even more private data when users forget to "logout" before going to the next App or site.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: More for Google

Are you implying they have been waiting for an excuse to gather more data?

Never....

I do think MS, Google, Apple and Facebook are in a competition to see how much personal data they can gather, before being pulled up on it, only to find a new way of getting even more info.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

It is what the likes of Google, Facebook and Apple do with that data once they get it.

Oh, and don't forget Microsoft. They don't/won't want to be left out with all that effort they have put into getting it from you with W10.

Do the companies mentioned above either sell the data or use it to sling ads for 3rd party crap at you? Those are the most important things to ask yourself (IMHO)

1. poohbear

Spooks? What spooks?

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Since it's a single login per phone, I highly doubt it's even possible to log out. This might mean more data slurping across all apps, though I doubt they'd get any more data than Android can already access anyway.

2. Seriouscyrus

How annoying, i just implemented a uiwebview for this so users don't have to leave my app.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Unhappy

Android really really sucks

But it's better than Apple. Shame, that.

Unfortunately, since Nokia, Blackberry, and Microsoft have all dropped the ball, that's all Android needs to be, is better than Apple's walled garden, where even changing the wallpaper or ringtone is fucking building-the-pyramids level of effort.

1. Smody

Re: Android really really sucks

"....where even changing the wallpaper or ringtone is fucking building-the-pyramids level of effort."

Not true. Changing wallpaper or ring tones is easy. Adding your own ringtone, not so much.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like