back to article BT and Nokia slink off together, muttering about 5G tech

BT and Nokia have signed a research collaboration agreement on 5G at the BT Labs at Adastral Park, Suffolk. The two companies have agreed to work together on potential customer use cases for 5G technologies, the creation of 5G proof-of-concept trials and the development of technology standards and equipment. The trials will …

1. J. R. Hartley

Nokia

Back on top

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nokia

Nokia have been doing carrier equipment for a very long time, along with Ericsson and Huwawei.

1. J. R. Hartley

Re: Nokia

I know. Haven't had to work with any of their kit since 2001 though. Hopefully it's improved since then.

2. caffeine addict

/insert obligatory "I just want decent 2G/3G outside London" comment

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

I just want decent 2G/3G outside London

See above.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

I have 4G around 80mps on a BAD day and I live in Worcestershire

But then again, I can walk to the BT exchange and mobile towers in less than 2 minutes.

3. Christian Berger

I wonder how a blank slate solution to the mobile data problem would look like?

I mean sure, LTE has thrown a lot of things overboard like isochronous connections, however it's still deeply rooted in a mindset that is based on the mobile telephony business model. For example the network always knows where you are in order to get packets to you while most client protocols today only make outgoing connections where this is largely irrelevant.

So how would a network look like that's just "there" paid by the people just like the road network? You wouldn't need to log into it. You could use techniques like "stateless autoconfiguration" to gather an IP-address from the cells near you. Gradually as you roam, you'll gather new addresses while the old ones drop away. With the right network protocols (e.g. mosh) that would give you seamless handover without a central piece of equipment having to track you constantly. Even web browsing would work fine as your connections are rather short lived.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ofcom/Politicians have taken us Potholing, and forgotten the way back to the surface.

Given every (fcuk)techless UK Politician panders to BT for rehashed obfuscated/bamboozled information and bleat a 'voluntary' USO's that will fit within BT's technology remit of using its legacy sweated Copper assets, the discussion/idea of a clean slate and fresh pair eyes on how to design Mobile Data networks for 2020+ from scratch, is about as pointless as the 'snake oil' G.fast is for Fixed Ultrafast broadband, going forward.

Sweetie - BT/EE has every rural user completely screwed over for the foreseesble future, that's the main conclusion to draw. Sitting on hands, waiting for new handouts has become the order of they day for the UK Telco.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like