back to article POS malware stings 20 US hotels

Another 20 US hotels have been identified as being infected with point-of-sale malware earlier this year. The dozen affected hotels are run by HEI Hotels & Resorts and bear the Starwood, Westin, Marriott International, Hyatt and InterContinental brands. The chain says the malware campaign ran as far back as March 2015, with …

1. Sebastian A

I think it might be prudent to travel only with prepaid cards for then ext, oh, decade or three?

2. kevin king

why?

HEI is still working out how many individual customers might have their names, card numbers, card expiry dates, and CCV numbers compromised.

Why would they have the CCV numbers? They are only to verify that I'm (the card holder is) in possession of the card and should not be recorded anyway.

3. From the States

How could you and Reuters not mention the guy who broke the story and has a lot more

information on it?

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/08/visa-alert-and-update-on-the-oracle-breach/

1. Richard Chirgwin (Written by Reg staff)

Re: How could you and Reuters not mention the guy who broke the story and has a lot more

We had already linked to Krebs in the previous story on MICROS, linked in this story.

Richard Chirgwin

The Register

1. From the States

Re: How could you and Reuters not mention the guy who broke the story and has a lot more

Got it. I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Then I will simply ask the question of Reuters.

4. sitta_europea

I'm confused.

Is it "20" or "a dozen"?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More info ?

Not much info here or in the other links.

When you say Micros POS do you mean Simphony or the older 9700 system ?

Thanks.

1. DaLo

Re: More info ?

It'll be the 3700.

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

News? It's rapidly getting to the state where "No US hotel chain breaches discovered today" would be a headline.

7. Big_Boomer Silver badge

POS?

To me POS will always mean something else entirely. I'm guessing that those in the Point Of Sale equipment business understand the other meaning,.... or are both meanings applicable? That would certainly explain the recent spate or hackings and crackings. Why haven't these companies marketing people come up with a new and better acronym?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: POS?

"To me POS will always mean something else entirely."

There's nothing to say it can't mean both at once. In fact, the evidence suggests it does.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020