back to article Fun fact of the day: Network routers are illegal in Japan

There's no doubt that the internet has caused massive shakeups in laws across the globe, but in Japan the law has an unusual kink: internet routers are technically illegal. Except they're not. Because under a very Japanese rule, the ability of electronic equipment to read a packet header both violates the law and "seems not …

1. Magani
    Trollface

First Rate!

As such, Ogawa explains, it "violates the law, but seems not illegal."

According to F Scott Fitzgerald, "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

OK, I guess that explains Japan and its growth since WWII, but under the same theory, does this mean a certain Boris look-alike running for POTUS has a first-rate intelligence?

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: First Rate!

My first thought was that "violates the law, but seems not illegal" is much like the sort of charge that people sometimes face like "causing an affray" and similar.

They're not really illegal as such but are on the books so that police can charge people they don't like.

2. Captain DaFt

"but under the same theory, does this mean a certain Boris look-alike running for POTUS has a first-rate intelligence?"

"Two contradictory thoughts at the same time" isn't quite the same as "Can't maintain a coherent thought for two seconds".

3. Vector

it "violates the law, but seems not illegal."

So...it's a quantum law?

2. tom dial Silver badge
    Joke

"Violates the law, but seems not illegal" - plainly the answer to a Hillary Clinton prayer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

There is no way of indicting Mrs. Clinton legally, since there is apparently no body, not even the courts, that is allowed to make such a determination.

3. arkhangelsk

I'm neither a comp tech or a lawyer but isn't this better resolved or justified as part of "consent" rather than just "routine activity"? The user implicitly consents to the router and other network equipment reading the parts of the message necessary to achieve his aim of transmitting said message to its recipient.

It seems not very different from the mail address on your paper mail - every time you mail something you are letting the post office know you are sending something to a particular address (and further inferences can be made from the mass and dimensions of the package), and no one seems to think whether that's a violation of privacy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

but in the vast majority of cases the post office doesn't know who sent it, it only knows which post box it was put in and it doesn't bother recording that. Your analogy only works for recorded mail shirley?

4. Wommit

"It seems not very different from the mail address on your paper mail - every time you mail something you are letting the post office know you are sending something to a particular address (and further inferences can be made from the mass and dimensions of the package), and no one seems to think whether that's a violation of privacy."

But then the Post Office would have to enter all of the details on each and every item posted into a computer, thus causing unacceptable delays in delivery ... err ... wait a minute ...

5. Admiral Grace Hopper

Aw

I was hoping that this article might shed light on the off predilection that the Japanese have for bridge/routers. I've seen some network designs from that way that caused some head scratching from a UK viewpoint.

6. SimonC

Japan is wonderful for this. So many things there are technically illegal yet done by the entire population. If they ever want to arrest and detain someone, which they can do for up to around 25 days, without access to a lawyer (or food and water, according to some amnesty international reports, explaining their 99% conviction rate and history of forced confession), they can just decide to invoke a law like this.

Technically it's illegal to cycle on the pavement there, yet everybody does.

Just wait until some activist says something inappropriate. And you thought CCTV here in blighty was bad.

Glory to Arstotzka.

1. phuzz Silver badge

It's not unusual in the UK for a law to be widely ignored, and almost never upheld.

For example, in Bristol the police don't care about recreational weed smoking. As long as you're not dealing, or trying to blow the smoke in someone's face they'll pretty much ignore you.

See also: motorway speed limits, bikes on pavements, street drinking and lying to the electorate through the medium of slogans on buses.

It does seem to be a US idea that laws are fixed and immutable and that there should never be any leeway in interpretation.

2. Disk0
      Coat

I guess cycling on the walls is the only option...?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

something tells me you dont like japan well bad news many of us love japan

7. DropBear

" under both the Japanese Constitution and its relevant telecoms law, it is now allowed to snoop on communications"

Is that legit? I thought the idea was that the law was the one saying "thou shalt not snoop" otherwise what's the problem with routers...?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

秘密を知りたい ?????

聴く。

あなたが秘密を知りたいですか?

あなたが言うことはないと約束しますか?

オハイオ州オハイオ州オハイオ州。

クローザー。

私はあなたの耳にささやいてみましょう。

聞いて言葉あなたが長いと言います。

君に恋している。

9. Shaha Alam

Ohayou Gozaimasu!

please can you connect my internet wire to the google server please? I'll do a quick search and then you can connect the wire to the server i'm looking for.

domo arigatou

10. heyrick Silver badge

Hmmm, the law is an ass

Reading routing information, especially by the device that is performing said routing, is not the same as reading the communication, any more than the telephone company listening to the line for DTMF tones is listening in on the call. Or, as has been stated above, looking at an address is not the same as opening the envelope and reading the letter within.

On the other hand, it is probably good that this lack of clarity exists, for I'm sure that if the same situation was "clarified" in the UK (and other western countries), it would be done so in a way that tacitly sanctions deep packet inspection, because, you know, shitty laws and mission creep...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like