back to article Did Donald Trump really just ask Russia to hack the US govt? Yes, he did

In the latest of a series of implausibly appalling statements, Republican presidential nightmare Donald Trump encouraged the Russian government to hack into the servers of US government officials in order to provide him political ammunition against his Democratic rival. Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, Trump said …

1. Robert Moore
    Mushroom

Treason

I wounder if this would qualify as treason?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Treason

Well, since Hilary's email server is long since offline and in the tender care of the FBI, they can hardly hack it now. They clearly did years ago. But since all the deleted emails were only yoga routines and admin for Chelsea's wedding, why is anyone worried?

2. cirby

Trump was going under the assumption that the Russians ALREADY HAVE the Clinton email, from a server that no longer exists.

If they do, then the Hillary defense ("no security compromise") is a lie.

And if that's a lie, then Hillary's the one who compromised national security and should go to jail.

Trump was calling for the Russians to supply evidence of Hillary's crimes.

You were saying?

1. InfiniteApathy
        Thumb Down

> Trump was going under the assumption that the Russians ALREADY HAVE the Clinton email, from a server that no longer exists.

You give him far.... far too much credit.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

*pedant alert*

You honestly believe a man who can give a speech for over an hour and not make a string together a single meaningful sentence knows anything about how email works?

Shall I explain it to you then?

/pedant

/coat :-)

1. 404
            Holmes

*pedant alert*

You honestly believe a man who can give a speech for over an hour and not make a string together a single meaningful sentence knows anything about how email works?

Shall I explain it to you then?

/pedant

/coat :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Actually, yes. Any Wall Street type is going to have the SEC watching, always watching. Knowing how email works and the security thereof would be part of the job(security), yes? There's always business competitors watching too.

1. Long John Baldrick

@404 Please proofread your post and make corrections. It makes far less sense than the speech The Donald made.

2. JC_

Trump was calling for the Russians to supply evidence of Hillary's crimes.

What crimes? It's always smoke and never fire from the Clinton-haters.

Trump, on the other hand, is a proven racist, lying fraud.

Forget any claims of false equivalence, too; Trump is a threat to democracy and the world. Clinton isn't.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"Trump was going under the assumption that the Russians ALREADY HAVE the Clinton email, from a server that no longer exists."

that was MY first impression as well.

A thumb-UP from me, even though the 'howler monkeys' are thumbing you down [a badge of honor, heh]

and, did ANYONE ever think that Trump *might* be telling a JOKE? *I* thought it was UPROARIOUSLY funny!

1. Mike Echo

"and, did ANYONE ever think that Trump *might* be telling a JOKE? *I* thought it was UPROARIOUSLY funny!"

Someone needs a humour transplant, methinks.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

and, did ANYONE ever think that Trump *might* be telling a JOKE? *I* thought it was UPROARIOUSLY funny!

Like him "joking" that he'd pay the legal fees for anyone at his rallies who physically assaulted any protestors?

Like him "joking" about the handicapped reporter?

3. Kumar2012

"and, did ANYONE ever think that Trump *might* be telling a JOKE? *I* thought it was UPROARIOUSLY funny!" --- it was a joke, a sharply sarcastic and cutting one, but the left don't like it when they are the butt of said joke. So now they feign more outrage and clutch their pearls ever so tightly when Trump jokes about missing emails than they ever did when Hillary actually put said emails out there to be hacked in the first place.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> and, did ANYONE ever think that Trump *might* be telling a JOKE? *I* thought it was UPROARIOUSLY funny!

Very obviously was. He said the media would reward them for it. The media is paid for by Clinton and will not publish things that harm her campaign.

Even discussing this is part of the fail media's plan, but... There is no part of the government that could be hacked to reveal Hillary's missing emails. Unless there is a larger treason scandal involving Obama and every department of the government, including FBI and Justice Dept. So right off the bat, the liberal/Clinton false story this article is running on is disproven.

Second, Hillary said under oath that the deleted emails contained no sensitive information. So even if the Russian could hack something and get them, that would represent no risk at all to security, unless Hillary lied under oath. If she did, then she is no longer eligible to hold office.

Finally, the Russians already have the information, as they compromised Hillary's server. The fact that they haven't released the emails yet shows they are working with Hillary's campaign, which is probably why they're so bent on claiming the opposite with Trump.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> the one who compromised national security and should go to jail.

Just like Cheney went to jail when he compromised security by outing a covert agent?

Just like Reagan went to jail when he compromised security by illegally selling arms to Iran and then using the proceeds to fund the Contras? And then lying about it to Congress?

Just like W went to jail when he compromised security by lying about WMDs in Iraq and using that as a pretext for a multi-billion dollar war that cost thousands of lives; and triggering a domino retaliatory effect of terror attacks in in the US and Europe?

The fuckwits who are calling for HRC to be variously hung, shot, or executed have convenient fucking memories. To say nothing about the relative scale of HRC's alleged transgressions compared to some real criminals who got off totally scott free.

1. MonkeyCee

Next you'll be suggesting that the gwb43.com email scandal is anything like the Clinton one.

But it's very clear in tribal politics, whatever the other guys do is terrible and should involve jail, flogging and hanging, but our lot are pure as the driven snow. Because ideals, ends justify means, them lot want to destroy our country etc etc.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Trump was going under the assumption that the Russians ALREADY HAVE the Clinton email, from a server that no longer exists.

Was he now? How exactly do you know this? Are you suggesting we should just take his PR flack's feeble attempt at damage control at face value?

His exact words were: "Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing."

Maybe they do, maybe they don't already have them. If they do have them, they don't need to go hacking. But I think the implication is clear: he meant go for it.

I dunno, that's how I hear it. I only have 50+ years as a native English speaker, so what would I know.

1. RIBrsiq

>> If they do have them, they don't need to go hacking.

More importantly, if they already have them, they don't have to find them.

Read into that what you will.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> More importantly, if they already have them, they don't have to find them.

Easy to tell who has never used a database in their life in this thread.

1. RIBrsiq
              Facepalm

>> Easy to tell who has never used a database in their life in this thread.

It is, isn't it?

Or at least who finds DBs an apparently unfathomable and insurmountable challenge, if one takes into account that you seem to be equating locating files locally stored in a presumably well structured and indexed archive to clandestinely retrieving files that were stored by a non-cooperative remote entity, that have supposedly long since been deleted and, further, that the bleeding FBI already tried to recover -- with presumably much more cooperation than the Russians are likely to get, one might add -- and reportedly couldn't!

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

I wonder if this would qualify as treason?

I think it would come under "incitement." But then him and "Dobby" do seem to see eye to eye on many things.

Personally I'd rather like Donald (or "The D" as I like to think of him, since so many of his supports just can't seem to get enough of him) to win.

Like Brexit for the British.

But without it being so completely impossible to reverse.

1. Driver's Door
        Joke

Re: I wonder if this would qualify as treason?

As I counter offer, I suggest a reality-TV show where his delusion comes to life by having him play the POTUS.

4. Someone Else Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Yes. Pure and simple. Where is the sign up for the firing squad?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

TRUMP ROCKS YOUR SOCKS OFF!

Get over it!

Additionally,. he's probably the only thing that stands between us and nuclear war with Russia.

But then again, humanity ending because the politically correct thing to do is to vote for a mendacious imperial neocon that happens to be female (though sadly not black and gay, one cannot have everything) is just a cynical glimmer in God's scheme of things.

See me not care.

1. Northumbrian

Your evidence that Clinton is prepared to use nuclear weapons against Russia pre-emptively?

As for Trump:

“Europe’s a big place,” he said on Fox. “I’m not going to take cards off the table. We have nuclear capability. Now, our capability is going down rapidly because of what we’re doing. It’s in bad shape, the equipment is not properly maintained, there’s a whole lot of talk about that, and that’s a bad thing, not a good thing.”

(http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/1/donald-trump-threat-nuclear-weapons-europes-big-pl/)

I don't think there's anything in The Art of the Deal which suggests that having a weapon, making sure it's ready to use, declaring that its use is "on the table" and suggesting that other parties (e.g. Saudi and Japan, but not presumably Iran) could and should have their own nuclear capability, amounts to ruling out the possibility of actually using it. Plus, of course, using nukes against ISIS is a possibility he's suggested - and American nukes would really help sort out the Middle East.

And still there are people who think Clinton a bigger danger!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I don't think there's anything in The Art of the Deal which suggests that having a weapon, making sure it's ready to use, declaring that its use is "on the table" and suggesting that other parties (e.g. Saudi and Japan, but not presumably Iran) could and should have their own nuclear capability, amounts to ruling out the possibility of actually using it. Plus, of course, using nukes against ISIS is a possibility he's suggested - and American nukes would really help sort out the Middle East.

Speaking of "Art of The Deal" - it's real writer said :

“I put lipstick on a pig,” he said. “I feel a deep sense of remorse that I contributed to presenting Trump in a way that brought him wider attention and made him more appealing than he is.” He went on, “I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization.”

2. Kumar2012

"And still there are people who think Clinton a bigger danger!" --- Ask the Libyan's, Egyptian's, Syrians, Kurds, Yazidi, Iraqi's, etc. who the bigger danger is? They are not dying in their thousands thanks to Trump, but thanks to Hillary's inept and downright negligent foreign policy.

3. Gordon Stewart

> and American nukes would really help sort out the Middle East

Surely you jest?

2. Gordon Stewart

> he's probably the only thing that stands between us and nuclear war with Russia

I honestly can't tell if you're having a laugh or are actually completely delusional??!

5. Long John Baldrick

Here is the constitutional definition of treason:

Section 3.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court.

The Congress shall have power to declare the punishment of treason, but no attainder of treason shall work corruption of blood, or forfeiture except during the life of the person attainted.

Analysis of Trumps statement:

Levying war - no.

Adhering to their enemies - no.

Giving them aid and comfort - no.

Answer to your question - no.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Meh

Giving them aid and comfort - no.

Depends if you consider Putins Russia to be an enemy of the US, does it not?

1. JC_

Re: Giving them aid and comfort - no.

Depends if you consider Putins Russia to be an enemy of the US, does it not?

Putin certainly considers the US to be an enemy of Russia. The little man is paranoid, but I guess he has to live with the constant fear of defenestration.

6. Andrew Moore

sedition I think.

7. WalterAlter
      Megaphone

Humorless Twats

Jesus people, get a sense of humor. The comment was tongue in cheek, you raw nerved bleeding gums psychos. Learn to tell sarcasm from Shinola.

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'Did Donald Trump really just ask Russia to hack the US govt? Yes, he did"

No, he didn't.

9. freecode_99

Yes, it does qualify as treason. He is about as low as they come IMHO.

2. goldcd

It's really quite impressive.

I mean he's a loathsome little knuckle-head, but...

...you've got to admire the... "chutzpah" he has...

Maybe he could be kept around for amusement after the election - make him foreign secretary or something.

1. WeeGordy
      FAIL

Re: It's really quite impressive.

What's truly scary is that one day, this man could be POTUS. I only hope that the smart citizens of the USA see beyond the bluster and rhetoric. I do, however, worry that they won't. As for the accusation of Treason, I'd say it was close, but no cigar....yet.

1. Rich 11

Truly scary, but partly because he's not organised. He just shoots his gob off without any thought to the consequences.

The comment caused dismay even among reporters who have grown used to Trump's outrageous off-the-cuff comments, typically designed to make him the focus of that day's news cycle.

I don't think he wakes up in the morning, slides his feet out of the golden Trump Towers bed, extends his hands to the golden fire to warm his tiny fingers in the heat of burning international treaties, and thinks, "I know! I'll slag off menstruating Native Americans today. That'll get me a few more newsroom minutes than just harping on about illegal Mexican rapists again."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I don't think he wakes up in the morning, slides his feet out of the golden Trump Towers bed, extends his hands to the golden fire to warm his tiny fingers in the heat of burning international treaties, and thinks, "I know! I'll slag off menstruating Native Americans today. That'll get me a few more newsroom minutes than just harping on about illegal Mexican rapists again."

I'm pretty sure he does.. That's how he ended up as the Republican nominee without having to spend much on campaigning - get free media attention.

2. GBE

"I only hope that the smart citizens of the USA see beyond the bluster and rhetoric."

Oh, they do. It's the dumb citizens of the USA that you have to worry about...

2. Pliny the Whiner

"Maybe he could be kept around for amusement after the election - make him foreign secretary or something."

Or ambassador to Great Britain. Be careful what you wish for, as they say.

1. Long John Baldrick

"Maybe he could be kept around for amusement after the election - make him foreign secretary or something."

Or ambassador to Great Britain. Be careful what you wish for, as they say.

If he becomes President he might make Michael Savage Ambassador to Great Britain.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And why not? That worked OK for HRC, didn't it?

Pitbulls have their uses

4. Bloodbeastterror

"you've got to admire the... "chutzpah" he has"

No. No, I f***ing absolutely do not.

5. Teiwaz

- Between him and Boris, R.I.P. Diplomacy. Good time for a career in International relations damage control. Better still, create a new BDSM fashion and have them ball-gagged most of the time.

1. Gordon Stewart

At least Boris is fairly benign. Trump is *dangerous*.

6. Gordon Stewart

Court jester, perhaps?

3. Pen-y-gors

Hurry up and build that wall

But not just at the Southern border - all the way around the country, and designed to stop emigrants.And there must be enough offshore US-owned assets (Facebook?) that can be seized to pay for it. Probably an idea to cut all the fibre pipes as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hurry up and build that wall

But what about the pr0n the US supply us with so well?!

1. Rich 11

But what about the pr0n the US supply us with so well?!

The invisible hand of the free market will fill the gap in two shakes of a lamb's... um...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The porn industry today is what happens when money takes control from the people who knew what they were doing - the Germans, Danes and, to a lesser but no less extent, the Swedes.

The Americans can keep their version.

1. Teiwaz

"The Americans can keep their version."

- America has porn? Oh yeah, the Pamela Anderson vid.

4. Sandtitz Silver badge
    Megaphone

Right...

"If Russia or any other country or person has Don Trump's missing tax return papers, perhaps they should share them with the general public!"

TFTFY

5. cirby

Hold on there...

Hillary, for the last two years: "There is nothing sensitive or classified on my personal email server, and no emails were missing."

Democrats, today: "Ohmigod, there's SO much classified material on that server and in the missing emails!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hold on there...

Heavens, I had not thought about that! Those hacked classified emails must NOT fall into the wrong voter's hands!

2. DavCrav

"Hillary, for the last two years: "There is nothing sensitive or classified on my personal email server, and no emails were missing."

Democrats, today: "Ohmigod, there's SO much classified material on that server and in the missing emails!""

Citation needed? Democrats seem to be saying "Russia has hacked into the official DNC server, and Trump is encouraging them to do it some more." Where was classified material mentioned anywhere? Confidential, maybe.

3. Keith Glass
      Trollface

Really. I had NO idea that ~30,000 emails on yoga, Chelsea's wedding, and recipes were a matter of national security.

The flip-flopping on this is highly amusing.

And Wikileaks, and whoever is feeding them the DNC emails and such ?

Troll Level: Supreme Grand Master. . .

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is a historical comparison

When confronted by his father, Augustine, George Washington said, "Fuck yeah pop, i chopped that muthafuckin cherry tree down!" A few hours later in his fathers study George attempted to clarify the situation by stating that he hadn't chopped the cherry tree down and that it had already been cut down when he had got there and he had only picked up the axe and swung it violently to ward off a bee which he thought was going to sting him.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the yanks have got a choice between....

Caligula or Leona Helmsley's used tampon!

1. PNGuinn
      Trollface

Re: So the yanks have got a choice between....

You are D Trump esq and I claim my $5 ....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So the yanks have got a choice between....

Not quite sure which one is meant to be which...

8. Palpy

..."got to admire the 'chutzpah'" --

-- um, not so much. Have you read transcripts of his interviews? The man can't hold a train of thought, address a question directly, or elucidate concepts higher than a middle-school level.

If he had not received several million dollars from trusts set up by his father, and several million more in loans (some of them apparently still not repaid), then Mr. Trump would probably be a second-rate used car salesman out in Great Neck.

*shrug* Trump's not qualified for public service. He's not even interesting.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mark 85

Re: ..."got to admire the 'chutzpah'" --

Let's give him a bit of credit... he's a media darling because he's a walking soundbite. The public knows him as the "you're fired" guy and either don't remember or don't know his past history.

I won't go into the Hillary as it's not relevant to this. I'm equally disgusted by her also.

3. Lars Silver badge

Re: ..."got to admire the 'chutzpah'" --

I think the opinion the ghostwriter of "The Art of the Deal" has about him is quite revealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb2NHTka-gw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq-OUClcLF0

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This explains it

https://youtu.be/Prls6Iz3B3E

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This explains it

As does this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kypl1MYuKDY

10. wolfetone Silver badge

Is there no one in America that could do it?

See, not even President yet and he's already outsourcing jobs.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Food for...

..morons.

The beauty is that the public, on the whole, are morons.

It works!

12. JustNiz

I'm amazed how the author and most of the posters here all think you're oh so clever in continually dumping on Trump, but clearly none of you have actually bothered to do your own homework so are badly uninformed about just how corrupt/evil/self-serving/psychopathic Hilary really is.

Look, Trump is clearly not a great choice, but literally any choice is better than Hillary. All I'm saying is before you just repeatedly mock Trump (mostly at the liberal media's encouragment), at least bother to educate yourself by doing your own research on Hillary first.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

its not that we think we're clever, its just that we're bored and have got nothing better to do.

2. Joe User
      FAIL

Neither Trump nor Hillary are qualified to be President of the U.S. People say to "vote for the lesser of two evils", but in this election, it's nothing more than an exercise in splitting hairs.

1. Mark 85
        Thumb Up

@Joe User

Upvote for that. Spot on!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

splitting hairs?

With two, three, or possibly even four SCOTUS judges up for replacement, a lot of people think there's quite a bit more at stake.

Whatever you think HRC's flaws might be, think really hard about how bad it'd be if Trump gets to pick them. We just don't need any more Anton Scalias or NRA sock puppets.

1. Naselus

Re: splitting hairs?

"Whatever you think HRC's flaws might be, think really hard about how bad it'd be if Trump gets to pick them. We just don't need any more Anton Scalias or NRA sock puppets."

I don't think Trump would be picking even a Scalia.

He'd want to have at least two Supreme Justices with the surname 'Trump'. Any other vacancies would be filled from the runners-up of Miss America.

3. Dr Scrum Master
        Black Helicopters

I haven't heard much on the subject of which vice presidential candidate would make the better president, but such talk might invite unwanted attention....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That pretty much sums up how I approached the 2008 election.

4. Swarthy

@ Joe User

Or you could join the growing minority of voters and "Throw your vote away" on a third party candidate.

I mean - Fuck! - Cthulhu would be a lesser evil than the two muppets that we are told are the only two options. This, in a country with over a dozen different varieties of corn flakes - and we only get two presidential candidates?!

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

What are those "liberal media" you speak of? Inquiring minds, etc.

1. Teiwaz

"What are those "liberal media" you speak of? Inquiring minds, etc."

- I think it's a bit like 'Co-ed', one of those Usian terms designed to turn you on or evoke an emotional response. Telling which is which is the difficulty.

4. Martin Maloney
      Trollface

The folly of lesser evilism

@ Joe User

"Neither Trump nor Hillary are qualified to be President of the U.S. People say to "vote for the lesser of two evils", but in this election, it's nothing more than an exercise in splitting hairs."

http://www.revoltwear.net/shop/cthulhu-for-president/

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Thumb Up

cthulhu-for-president/

Indeed.

If you're going to go for it you want to go with #1.

2. Joe User
        Thumb Up

Re: The folly of lesser evilism

http://www.revoltwear.net/shop/cthulhu-for-president/

Thank you for the URL. I just ordered one.

5. Teiwaz

the liberal media's encouragment...

What is a liberal media, I thought most Americans got their news from Fox.

Meanwhile, on the east side of the pond, it's not all tea and unstraightened teeth, we know the difference between 'another' self-serving career shark whose playing the game of politics and a loose canon likely to thoughtlessly upset the wrong applecart.

Some applecarts could do with overturning, the system no longer serves the greater good, but not blindly and without thought in pursuit of media attention.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: the liberal media's encouragment...

"Some applecarts could do with overturning, the system no longer serves the greater good, but not blindly and without thought in pursuit of media attention."

I don't agree. At some point the stench become unbearable, and overturning that stinky applecart becomes imperative, regardless of how it's done.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: the liberal media's encouragment...

"Some applecarts could do with overturning, the system no longer serves the greater good, but not blindly and without thought in pursuit of media attention."

I don't agree. At some point the stench become unbearable, and overturning that stinky applecart becomes imperative, regardless of how it's done.

I hereby invoke Godwin's law. This is how it starts.

6. Bernard M. Orwell

"continually dumping on Trump"

Normally, we trump *then* dump.

13. Joe User
    Holmes

Redundant

"implausibly appalling" pretty much covers everything that comes out of Donald Trump's mouth....

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Treason is allowing State Secrets to be open to foreign governments.

So, natch it's Trump.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're being too subtle for this crowd.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Does leaving State secrets on unprotected email servers count?

Refer to title

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Did Donald Trump really just ask Russia to hack the US govt?"

Er... no.

I do not support Trump but I do know how to read. He was saying the Russians already have the data and should release it to show what HC was up to. Whether that is a sensible thing to say is a different matter, but there was no request to hack anything.

It's bad enough that Trump says stupid things without the media making it worse.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: "Did Donald Trump really just ask Russia to hack the US govt?"

Yes the media does love having a comic whipping boy in Trump. Funny the media doesn't mention that one of Hillary's delegates had to bow out of the convention after attempting to murder her husband. Yup, there certainly is a little cognitive dissonance going on because you know it would be fodder for a fortnight if she were a Trump delegate.

1. Rich 11

Yup, there certainly is a little cognitive dissonance going on

You seem to have difficulty recognising the scale of difference between the public announcements of one candidate and the actions of a single delegate whom the other candidate has almost certainly never met or even heard of.

2. Terrance Brennan

We are whipping Donald for what he does and says, not what some delegate he has never met has done and said.

He was sued and fined twice by the feds for racial discrimination in his housing. A former casino employee reported all blacks had to leave the casino floor when Donald and Ivanka were there. He told a manager he did not want a black guy counting his money. He filed for bankruptcy at least three times. His businesses have been involved in hundreds of lawsuits and hundreds of small companies have complained about non-payment of bills. He encouraged crowd violence at his rallies. His comments to and about women not in his immediate family are classic examples of misogyny. The Speaker of the House of Representatives from his own party called other comments text book racism. He has expressed admiration for Vladimir Putin, Saddam Hussein, and Moammar Qadafi. He insulted not just John McCain but every American veteran who was ever captured and held as POW, while he used four student deferments and finally a medical exemption to avoid serving in Vietnam. He promised to raise money for veteran groups but didn't actually deliver the money until the "liberal media" kept asking about it. He ahs been endorsed by the KKK and the American Nazi party and instead of disavowing either is fine with it.

I don't care what any of his ignorant delegates or supporters think, do, or say. Donald thinks, says, and does enough stupid, vile, hateful things all on his own.

2. Rich 11

He was saying the Russians already have the data and should release it to show what HC was up to.

It's telling that he wants to profit from a criminal act.

And he claims he's not one of the Washington elite...

3. JustNiz

Thats because the media are a bunch of Hillary fangirls.

Just look at BBC, especially World News. The BBC was once the bastion of quality reporting. Now has lost all credability. Both Katty Kay and Lucy Hockings clearly can't wait to trash Trump at every opportunity and breathlessly wax lyrical about Hilary all the time, and also regularly make a whole news segment about some tiny non-newsworthy thing, clearly just because its about someone who did something and has a vagina. Whatever happened to unbiassed, professional reporting?

1. Rich 11

Whatever happened to unbiassed, professional reporting?

Have you considered the possibility that Trump's words are being reported quite accurately indeed?

1. WatAWorld

Considered and rejected based on mountains of evidence.

2. Donn Bly

re: Have you considered the possibility that Trump's words...

.. are being reported quite accurately indeed?

Considered - then I found the actual footage of the interview and watched it. Found that the facts don't substantiate the story, and contradict the headline.

I would add an icon, but what we really need is one with a bowel of popcorn.

1. TechBearMike

Re: re: Have you considered the possibility that Trump's words...

Isn't there already an icon that represents the contents of a 'bowel'? [sic]

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Up until a couple of days ago Dems and Hillary stood pat that the 30,000 emails she had her lawyers carefully delete were entirely made of emails about her yoga classes and Chelsea's wedding.

Now today they are saying those 30,000 emails are a matter of National Security and must never be released - 'IF' someone has them.

I can't wait to see her and her corrupt family get flushed down the drain for influence peddling.

17. AlexS
    Holmes

If only Hilary's mail server was on windows 10.

1. PNGuinn
      Stop

"If only Hilary's mail server was on windows 10."

C'mon - NOONE deserves that!

You'll be wishing systemd on Trump next.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clinton got caught rigging the primary...

...and blamed Russia for it!

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Clinton got caught rigging the primary...

No they didn't.

A majority of people in the party don't want Bernie.

Bernie was still nominated and still came second by a relatively close margin.

Several of his policies have been adopted by Hillary, and will be enacted if she becomes President.

Not all, but 1,000,000% more than if Donald Trump gets to sit in the Oval Office, because he's going to reverse everything Bernie stands for.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"No they didn't."

Wait, what? Is that it? Dude, the charge is election rigging, with plenty to back it up, and you think those three words is enough to refute it? And how do you know that without the rigging, Bernie would not have won? Isn't that what the rigging was for, to make sure he lost?

And is he supposed to be happy that the one who rigged the system (and unfairly won) is currently mouthing some of his less extreme positions?

It is to laugh.

1. Charles 9

"Dude, the charge is election rigging, with plenty to back it up, and you think those three words is enough to refute it?"

YES, unless you actually CAN back it up with evidence that would be admissible before a court.

19. Bloodbeastterror

Americans...

...be ashamed.

Be very, very ashamed.

1. GBE

Re: Americans...

..be ashamed.

Oh, we are... we are.

Now, how about Boris Johnson and the that whole Brexit thing, eh?

I have to admit it was sort of a relief to have a _different_ train wreck to watch for little while....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I see a real dilemma here in this election. Choose between:

1. Spoiled white boy who has done some dodgy business, here and there

2, Career criminal who has spun, lied and cheated her way to the top.

Honestly, who is better qualified to run the free world?

Upon objective reflection, I think:

Firstly, we are well and truly fucked, the candidates are living proof that a democracy gets the government it deserves.

I also think the orange-haired wide boy is the lesser of two evils. He would need time before he could implement a fraud machine this formidable. But with a bit of luck, he might put some of the previous dynasty into jail. Then we should all head for the hills.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Happy

"Honestly, who is better qualified to run the free world?"

How about the one who wants to make America BETTER? Not pandering to groups, dividing people by race and religion, showing favoritism to certain races, religions, behaviors etc. and paying groups of people with "other people's money" in order to purchase their votes. Yes, that would be 'Business as Usual' for the Demo-Rat party, and the ones who run it, i.e. the Clint-stones and (formerly) Debbie "Blabbermouth" Schultz.

I'd say TRUMP is better qualified.

Trump already wants to lower tax rates, make 'gummint' (so-called because it nearly always GUMS THINGS UP) more business friendly [so we can have JOBS instead of 'unemployment' or 'welfare'], and THEN go after the gummint WASTE FRAUD AND ABUSE to make the annual budget actually go DOWN for once. I can hardly wait for a bunch of gummint dweebs that merely punch a clock everyday, and spend 'work' time surfing the intarweb all day, to get those pink notices from Trump's administration: YOU'RE FIRED! And the national debt - doubled under Obaka - needs to be dealt with as well. I'm sure Mrs. Clinton would TRIPLE IT.

But I digress...

Trump's habit of saying whatever the hell he wants to say is actually *REFRESHING*, particularly for people like *ME* who are *SICK* and *FORNICATING* *TIRED* of "political correctness" and the hypersensitive chip-on-shoulder HOWLER MONKEYS who go into full poo-sling mode every time they even THINK they (or anyone else) *might* be offended. Whatever happened to freedom of speech? Exactly! Only free to say what the howler monkeys LET you say according to P.C.. And I know that *I* am sick of it, and seeing Trump say this stuff and *CHANGE* *THE* *NARRATIVE* every time just makes me smile...

1. Bloodbeastterror

It's easy to identify the nut jobs in this forum because they SHOUT unnecessarily and randomly.

Yes, Bob, I'm looking at YOU...

2. Bernard M. Orwell

"makes me smile..."

I don't think your post reflects your smile....

2. WatAWorld

The Brexit thing is actually a good idea, nothing to be embarrassed about.

As for Boris Johnson, I suppose you're fooled by the light-colored fly-away hair into thinking he has anything in common with Trump. Johnson doesn't.

(I wonder if you're a Canadian. Canadians have a history of often picking PMs on the basis of personal appearance and charming looks, rather than past performance and policies.)

1. DasWezel
          Facepalm

@WatAWorld

"The Brexit thing is actually a good idea, nothing to be embarrassed about."

I am forced to completely and totally disagree with you. Ignoring the actual result itself (which is still frankly a wildcard at best) the month or so of squabbling, infighting, outright lies, scapegoating and straight-up bullshit being spaffed about by both sides was a national f'ing disgrace. That's without taking into consideration the violence and publicly-broadcast hate that were fuelled by the issue.

As far as I can tell, even before the first vote was cast, we made ourselves look like squabbling, childish fuckwits on the global stage. If that's not something to be embarrassed about, then we've certainly lost any right to tell another country to be ashamed of itself.

2. Alistair
          Coat

Actually, we Canadians tend to fire our PMs for perpetually screwing the populace. We pick them because they come across as being on the correct side of 'out of their mind'.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty clearly didn't ask them to hack the government.

"If Russia or any other country or person has Hillary Clinton's 33,000 illegally deleted emails, perhaps they should share them with the FBI!"

"Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press."

He's implying that someone already stole the emails from when she was secretary of state "accidentally using personal email for government business" and if they were found the press and the FBI would like to have them.

I mean I'm assuming the anti-trump brigade have lost the ability to read.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

"Find"

So he wants them to go looking for them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Find"

As in find the stuff you have hidden in the cupboard.

Oddly if there was anything incriminating and a foreign power did have them wouldn't we want it to come to light so that it couldn't be used against them at a later date as leverage?

21. ma1010
    Childcatcher

You are seeing a master persuader at work

Consider how many TV commercials work. They don't tell you why their product is good. What they do is crazy stuff to make you REMEMBER them and to make associations in your head. Trump has gotten from being essentially a political joke to presidential candidate by using this technique. Based on these skills, Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame) has been predicting that he will likely win the election and made that prediction before the primary elections even got going.

Whether he's really a nut or is a master persuader, something seems to be working for him. If he wins, we'll all have to hope he's not a nut.

1. WatAWorld

As Obama said to the press regarding Trump, "I hope you're proud of yourselves."

Obama said it at the White House Correspondents dinner: The press is responsible for Trump being where he is. The press pushed him and covered him, and paying equal attention only to Hillary, paying little attention to the other candidates, and ridiculing and ignoring the best candidates.

They took a guy who ran for office to get some publicity for himself and his brand, and put him in the final running for the White House.

As Obama said to the press at that dinner, "I hope you're proud of yourselves."

What you're seeing is the Wall St establishment and the idle rich using the newspapers and TV networks they own to give the middle class the choice between another rich candidate with a history of successfully defeating the middle class and a kook.

The press covered Clinton and Trump, while suppressing and ridiculing the reasonable candidates, like Sanders, Ron Paul, and so on.

2. Naselus

Re: You are seeing a master persuader at work

"Based on these skills, Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame) has been predicting that he will likely win the election and made that prediction before the primary elections even got going."

He also predicted that Trump would get a landslide in Iowa, and then accused the Republican establishment of electoral fraud when Cruz won it. Then he endorsed Clinton because he was worried about being assassinated (no, really). He also believes in a bunch of ridiculous 'positive thinking' nonsense (like writing things down 15 times a day to make sure they happen), and thinks Kanye West is also a genius 'master persuader'. So yeah, forgive me if I doubt his thesis.

I think it's rather more likely that Trump simply tapped into many Americans' less pleasant urges at a point when globally elites are highly distrusted. Sanders also gained from it; in the UK, Corbyn has seen a similar thing; Podemos in Spain, the Front Nationale in France, Syrzia and Golden Dawn in Greece, and the 5-Star Movement in Italy... they're all just expressions of the crumbling credibility of the elite. An elite which Hillary is more or less the ultimate example of.

Trump is saying stuff which pisses off the establishment politicians, and a lot of people are currently pissed off with establishment politicians. So they agree with him and let him off the virulent racism and quasi-fascist authoritarianism. Bombastic Bob and Big John may sound like morons, but if you read their posts then they do outline their own motives quite clearly - and most of the are based on distrusting regular politicians and being entirely happy to unleash a monster just to shake the established order up. They're not able to provide a convincing argument because we're working on the assumption that we want incremental changes to the system. Trump supporters want to destroy it and rebuild it from scratch.

22. JustWondering
    Meh

I don't care ...

... if Hillary has done everything that everybody has ever accused her of, and maybe kicked a few puppies besides, she still wouldn't be as big a menace as Trump. And don't get me wrong, I like puppies. On the other hand, Hillary? Let's just say she is the least worst option available.

1. WatAWorld

Re: I don't care ...

What makes Clinton II the bigger risk is that she'd actually stay in office for at least one full term, and the bureaucrats would obey her.

If Trump wins he'll first be ignored, and ignored far more than Obama ever was. The CIA director and several top generals have already said they'll ignore illegal orders from Trump.

If congress fails to over rule Trump's actions first, the SCOTUS will over rule them.

Then Trump will probably be impeached.

And if he isn't impeached, sad to say the US is the country where everyone has the "right to bear arms" to prevent tyranny. So sadly I see a Trump sharing the fates of Lincoln and Kennedy. (I'm against violence, but I'm a Canadian, not an American.)

So I'm not worried about Trump. The USA has plenty of legal and illegal checks and balances to counter him.

But when Clinton is elected, and she will be, she'll successfully continue the establishment's "US War on the Middle Class", on the world's middle classes, and on the sovereignty of foreign governments.

So Clinton is the real risk.

1. Teiwaz

@ WatAWorld

- So you're saying Trump is Zaphod Beebelbrox then?

2. MJI Silver badge

Did you see who was released from jail recently?

Have you thought why?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But when Clinton is elected, and she will be, she'll successfully continue the establishment's "US War on the Middle Class", on the world's middle classes, and on the sovereignty of foreign governments.

i think you'll find it's really the Republican's war on the middle class.

Democrats want to increase taxes on the wealthy and increase capital gains taxes, whereas republicans want to "reduce taxes" - meaning reduce taxes for the wealthy (and slash unemployment benefits, health care spending, and other things that benefit the middle class more than the wealthy)

4. JustWondering

wat: I believe the plan is that Pence will be in charge of day to day presidenting while Trump pictures his role as loose cannon at large.

5. Gordon Stewart

> The CIA director and several top generals have already said they'll ignore illegal orders from Trump

Pfft! That's a big fucking rich coming from the bloody CIA!

2. Swarthy

Let's just say she is the least worst option available.

Unless you research beyond the low-hanging fruit of"everyone knows". There are other options, including another option that is on the ballot of all 50 states. And the Libertarians, with all of their flaws, are much less bad than Kang and Kodos.

23. WatAWorld

The US government set the precedent that governments can legally hack foreign computers

"Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, Trump said: "Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press."

I personally have little doubt that Israelis, French, Germans, Brazilians, Mexicans and Iranians have also hacked into US government computers, and that at least the Israelis, French, Germans had success.

>> So Trump is merely asking the Russians to look at their copy of the emails that have since been deleted from US government and Clinton personal mail servers, copies they made back before the emails and backups were deleted.

It would be pointless to ask them to hack in and find the emails on US government servers now, they're all deleted from US government and Clinton private email servers. <<

Now, the USA has publicly stated that federal agencies can legally break into foreign computer systems, including foreign government computer systems, and the intelligence services of other countries are all federal agencies, and to them US computer systems are all foreign computer systems.

The USA has set the precedent that it is legal.

Nobody at the NSA went to jail. The US does not consider it a criminal act for one government to hack into another government's computer systems. Rather, when discovered it is just a case for diplomatic tit-for-tat gestures.

1. TechBearMike

Re: The US government set the precedent that governments can legally hack foreign computers

"Rather, when discovered it is just a case for diplomatic tit-for-tat gestures."

Unless you have special insider knowledge (in which case, why are you wasting time commenting here when you could be making bank undermining international diplomacy?), what you're saying isn't even proveable. Growing up with a parent in, ahem, national security-related business, one of the tenets I learned is that most of the most egregious cyberespionage stuff is never going to go near the light of day even to people in the business (i.e., diplomats), much less the general public. It's that whole "need to know" concept that's a bedrock principle of Spookland.

24. Gravis Ultrasound

Sort of expected The Register to stick to the main point here:

The awful attitudes toward information security as demonstrated by the democratic party and the obama administration. The data losses have been staggering the last few years.

Instead, the journo only engages in tiresome 'misunderstanding' of one of Trumps 'funny tweets'. Dem's plan of misdirection is bloody obvious. Let's talk about anything other than how dnc shafted Bernie.

Come on The Register, you can do better, focus on the real issues of information security.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The awful attitudes toward information security as demonstrated by the democratic party and the obama administration. The data losses have been staggering the last few years.

It's more of a problem of government in general being behind the times in terms of information security.

Maybe because they don't have the budget to implement properly?

Instead, the journo only engages in tiresome 'misunderstanding' of one of Trumps 'funny tweets'. Dem's plan of misdirection is bloody obvious. Let's talk about anything other than how dnc shafted Bernie.

Misdirection and personal attacks are what Trump uses to deflect attention from himself..

For example, where are his tax returns?

Trumps "funny tweets" are, as many have noticed, just to get free media attention.

Oh, and notice how he's a master of unclearness and innuendo?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did Donald Trump really just ask Russia to hack the US govt?

No, actually he didn't.

The "Missing Messages" were on a private, non-government server, thus any hacking would not have been against the government, just his "competition".

Secondly, after having listened to the interview, as opposed to the media reports, he did NOT ask Russia to hack anything. The only way they could deliver the "missing emails" were if they already had them. Which, and lets be honest, every government with a cyber espionage division already has them (including the NSA) and if there were any "smoking guns" they probably would have leaked by now.

Trump may be an idiot, but so are the media outlets and individuals misreporting this story. If anything, this is one of those stories that acts as a bellwether, clearly show the biases of the American press. Didn't really expect that here... but not overly surprised.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Did Donald Trump really just ask Russia to hack the US govt?

You're correct. The emails were deleted by Hillary's staff and the hard drives scrubbed. Hacking the computer now would accomplish nothing since the emails aren't there. The computer is probably still in FBI custody and not connected to the internet so it'd be impossible to do anyway.

2. JC234

Re: Did Donald Trump really just ask Russia to hack the US govt?

You're correct. The emails were deleted by Hillary's staff and the hard drives scrubbed. Hacking the computer now would accomplish nothing since the emails aren't there. The computer is probably still in FBI custody and not connected to the internet so it'd be impossible to do anyway.

26. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

What's the male equivalent

What's the male equivalent of: "All fur and no knickers"?

Whatever it is, it describes Donald Trump well.

1. Matt Siddall

Re: What's the male equivalent

All mouth and no trousers?

1. Winkypop Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: What's the male equivalent

Thank you

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I absoutely love the guy! In a world that is getting destroyed by political correctness and a sick tendency to not wanting to see any problems at all, anywhere in society, Trump says what he thinks without euphemisms and look where it has taken him! =)

It gives me great joy to see all political correct socialists and journalists scream in agony as soon as Trump says something politically incorrect. He is the first politician in a long time that I actually bothered to listen to.

Walls and immigration stop? Come on... take it with a grain of salt, and should there be a drop in immigration, no one will die.

NATO? That is actually in the contract. Trump is saying that if you want to be in NATO and enjoy the benefits, then pay what you're supposed to pay. The US cannot act as world police and pay for everyone, that just leads to free riders. Nothing shocking there.

1. Hollerithevo

Politically correct socialists

Among the commentards on this three have been several, including this one from an AC, which make the same point. For convenience, I copy them below.

The similarities seem to be name-calling (howler monkeys appears more than once), seeing everything as 'political correctness' (i.e. anything that would refer to or support or even to promote women, non-white people, gay people, etc and consider this as fine), to see the Government as source of waste and evil (which somehow is full of lazy pen-pushers but not food inspectors and postal workers and the CIA and FBI), and the wish to stop being bothered by all these issues and to 'tell it like it is'.

The hatred for HRC is startling, the contempt for anyone not straight white men is interesting, and yet it is clear that the world is run by straight men, mostly white, and so why on earth are they worrying? HRC will not change this reality. Why is here so much anger? What is it that these people think is being taken away from them? Guys: you are still completely dominant. A few more female and brown faces need not send you into a fury. Or is it that anything less than 100% is the world going to hell in a handbasket?

------------------------------

TRUMP ROCKS YOUR SOCKS OFF!

Get over it!

Additionally,. he's probably the only thing that stands between us and nuclear war with Russia.

But then again, humanity ending because the politically correct thing to do is to vote for a mendacious imperial neocon that happens to be female (though sadly not black and gay, one cannot have everything) is just a cynical glimmer in God's scheme of things.

See me not care.

-----------------------

"Honestly, who is better qualified to run the free world?"

How about the one who wants to make America BETTER? Not pandering to groups, dividing people by race and religion, showing favoritism to certain races, religions, behaviors etc. and paying groups of people with "other people's money" in order to purchase their votes. Yes, that would be 'Business as Usual' for the Demo-Rat party, and the ones who run it, i.e. the Clint-stones and (formerly) Debbie "Blabbermouth" Schultz.

I'd say TRUMP is better qualified.

Trump already wants to lower tax rates, make 'gummint' (so-called because it nearly always GUMS THINGS UP) more business friendly [so we can have JOBS instead of 'unemployment' or 'welfare'], and THEN go after the gummint WASTE FRAUD AND ABUSE to make the annual budget actually go DOWN for once. I can hardly wait for a bunch of gummint dweebs that merely punch a clock everyday, and spend 'work' time surfing the intarweb all day, to get those pink notices from Trump's administration: YOU'RE FIRED! And the national debt - doubled under Obaka - needs to be dealt with as well. I'm sure Mrs. Clinton would TRIPLE IT.

But I digress...

Trump's habit of saying whatever the hell he wants to say is actually *REFRESHING*, particularly for people like *ME* who are *SICK* and *FORNICATING* *TIRED* of "political correctness" and the hypersensitive chip-on-shoulder HOWLER MONKEYS who go into full poo-sling mode every time they even THINK they (or anyone else) *might* be offended. Whatever happened to freedom of speech? Exactly! Only free to say what the howler monkeys LET you say according to P.C.. And I know that *I* am sick of it, and seeing Trump say this stuff and *CHANGE* *THE* *NARRATIVE* every time just makes me smile...

-----------------------

Devil

Re: Politically correct socialists

Looks like the Clintonite Hasbara has arrived. Thinkprogress.org shall be pumped into every home!

The hatred for HRC is startling

I don't see why "hating" a burnt-out (and possibly psychopathic) neocon, product of the imperial city, promising four more years of the same of bullshit (or worse, quite likely worse) is "startling".

The record of HRC speaks for itself.

Where do the "politicial correctness" elements come in? It's because La Clinton uses them in a fully conscious way. Instead of promoting good policy and bring new stuff to the table, it's "Vote for Me, I'm a Woman - Please disregard the rest of my shit!".

Woman should be at home and tend her garden.

Devil

More commentary from the decidedly not-conservative / not-republican Consortiumnews:

The Fear of Hillary’s Foreign Policy

The Democratic convention leaves one with an uneasy sense of déjà vu about the potential foreign policy direction of a second Clinton presidency. We’ve seen this movie before and we know how it turns out: badly.

The mood among some of the Democratic Party’s foreign policy cognoscenti here is one of an unadulterated smugness bred of certainty mixed with a sense of global entitlement. One Democratic U.S. senator lamented to a roomful of well-heeled donors and foreign policy experts on Monday that the U.S. had “lost” Ukraine. Lost? Was it ever America’s to begin with?

Yet the Democratic Party’s foreign policy elites are certain that that is so. They are also certain Donald Trump is dead wrong about everything; they are certain NATO is the “cornerstone” of American national security and therefore any criticism of the alliance is “dangerous”; and many are certain that the Republican nominee is the Kremlin’s very own Manchurian candidate.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton may well be the most qualified candidate for the nation’s highest office since George H.W. Bush, but there the comparisons end. Clinton is not running to extend the Obama legacy (whatever that may be) but to extend the Clinton legacy, and this should worry us deeply.

I don't want to read the biblical tea leaves but...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Assuming the author is from the USA, I see this as a sad indictment of the failure of US health care. In a sensible society he would have got psychiatric help to deal with his obvious anger issues and inability to see issues in proportion.

'Hating' a politician in most modern democracies certainly should be startling; disliking, not voting for, arguing with, are rational responses. Hate suggests that actually you can't make a rational argument. Sadly encouraging hate for the other has always been a way for unscrupulous individuals to elicit the support of large groups without having to actually put forward coherent policies of their own.

2. Gordon Stewart

> The US cannot act as world police

Then please just *stop* - the world would be a much better place

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Then what happens when the Russians and the Chinese (not IF, WHEN) start getting bold?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No, He Didn't!

I just spent the last two hours puring over the speech. No, he did not.

I am shocked at the lack of journalistic credibility and left-wing deindividuated herd mentality that the Register reporter displayed in this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No, He Didn't!

*pouring, not puring.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: No, He Didn't!

or maybe poring, but pouring something nasty over a Trump speech is probably sensible

29. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

Trolling the insufferable and frankly toxic Democrats hard

Even the MSM notices what's up:

Grand Theft Convention.

No, that's not a new video game. But it is what we just saw Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump do to the Democrats and Hillary Clinton, and the Democrats and Hillary Clinton are helping him do it!

During about an hour-long news conference earlier Wednesday, Trump was asked repeatedly about allegations that the Russian government is behind the hacked and leaked Democratic National Committee's emails that embarrassed the party on the eve of their national convention in Philadelphia. Trump quickly pivoted to also discussing Clinton's private email-server controversy and the 30,000-plus emails the former Secretary of State had deleted from her private server under questionable explanations and circumstances.

Advantage Trump.

Then came the money quote, or the bait, when he said: "Russia, if you're listening,I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing; I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press."

That comment was sure to grab headlines all on its own, but then the Clinton campaign incredibly took the bait and had a top policy advisor respond with this statement: "This has to be the first time that a major presidential candidate has actively encouraged a foreign power to conduct espionage against his political opponent."

Advantage Trump.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re:@Destroy All Monsters: Trolling the insufferable and frankly toxic Democrats hard

Wise words indeed.

Like never feed the troll.....

The Hillary love fest at the DNC continued unabated while Rome burned.

DNC chairman steps down amidst charges of favoritism.

Everyone now gets a fresh reminder of HRC's sloppy data security habits.

For the first time, I clicked on a link detailing the rather checkered history of the Clintonian years.

For the first time, I am beginning to think DJT is the least worst option.

And now the Democrats are trying to make Donald Trump look like a security risk,

It's dirty, smelly mud-slinging at its worst. But it will confirm many people's worst fears and may even backfire on the Dems.

Advantage Trump indeed. He might look and sound like a bufoon, but don't be fooled. He could win on points.

30. BrentRBrian

This would be tough, the e-mail server is in the custody of the FBI and should be quarantined to protect the "data from being tampered with" in case they turn up evidence.

The request for "releasing what you have already found" is not treason if it is evidence of a criminal act.

But, that evidence would be useless in court, chain of custody could not be verified.

B

1. Nehmo
      Alert

Chain of Custody is different in data cases

Arguing for a flaw in the chain of custody may be successful and it may not. It's not so simple. In my experience, if the judge wants to convict, he rules that the chain is "sufficiently intact" - unless a clearly required signature is missing or something.

Even if they find an error, they can rule that it didn't reach to the level that would require disqualifying the evidence.

Now, in computer cases, the data may zip anywhere. That usually doesn't stop it from being used. There are different standards for data cases. For example,something simply being on a computer is usually considered possession of it. However, it's well known plenty can end up on a drive without the physical owner's permission.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It might make good TV but at the end of the day countries need governing and governing is mostly mundane details, building roads, getting garbage collected, educating children. Trump has no coherent policies, a track record of basically selling cheap glitzy trash and self publicity.

It might well be that I would vote for him on reality TV show for amusement (the John Sergeant Strictly Come Dancing principle) - but for a real job that matters?

And if you think his statements on NATO aren't shocking, then maybe type 'appeasement' into Google. Rather ironic when Estonia is the 3rd largest 'payer' by proportion.

32. Mr Commenty McComentface

It's not often

I genuinely feel heart sorry for the American people, but this is one of those times.

On the one hand they have a fairly unpleasant Politico, bred for the purpose of trying to become the first female POTUS and all the crooked nastiness that any "designed" Political Dynasties comes with.

On the other they have Donald. A man more bonkers than Screaming Lord Sutch with absolutely none of the grace and humour of the man, and to my mind a fucking dark side (encouraging his supporters to beat up the opposition... history has seen that before and it never ends well).

An unpleasant crook or an unpleasant congenital lunatic. USA is fucked either way.

As for "colluding with Foreign Intelligence Agencies", please, no, he didn't, not based on that outburst. Not saying he wouldn't if he thought it would benefit him, probably call it "price of doing business", but one of his bonkers outbursts does not equal colluding/encouraging.

33. Florida1920

If Trump is elected

He'll get bored after a few months and resign, putting Pence in the top slot. Good luck to the country if that old, white theo-crat gets to select a few Supreme Court justices. Hillary is no saint, but in the present circumstances, she's the best hope.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CAN YOU ALL PLEASE STOP TAKING POT SHOTS AT THE DONALD!...

...that's what the CIA and Grassy Knolls are for.

35. DerekCurrie
    Coat

Drumpf <--ReTardlican Ass

This really is an indictment against my country, that this loudmouth lout became a US presidential candidate. We see the abyss before us...

36. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Speaking as an outsider...

...Trump AND Clinton scare the shit out of me, but Trump more so.

37. JC 2

It is a larger problem to not know the extent of Hillary's transgressions prior to the election, than to see what emails she exposed.

You are merely being a vulture picking at things as an excuse to hate, when this is only a response to what has already gone wrong with government, their scheming and lack of transparency then feeding the public LIES.

The difference between Hillary and Donald is that Donald tells the truth even if you don't like it, while Hillary tells you sweet lies while robbing you blind, then no matter how bad it gets, then you area all the more desperate for another sweet lie.

This is a continuation of the Obama administration if Hillary gets elected. Now we are on the verge of race wars, of having terrorists attacking us and our allies, a continuation of the degradation of our economy, and fewer and fewer middle class wage earners able to support themselves instead of having public assistance programs control their lives.

This is not what America used to stand for. Perhaps you are too young to remember. Our forefathers did not fight world wars for us to just turn over our lives to leftist control freaks who want to give away the spoils of our country to foreigners who left their own country because they couldn't make a good living there and were desperate.

It is time for all honorable citizens to take back America. That starts with honesty, not attacking someone because they are honest. Better to deal with what you know than be stabbed in the back.

1. Captain Badmouth
      WTF?

@JC2

"foreigners who left their own country because they couldn't make a good living there and were desperate."

Isn't that the start of modern America? On your statue of Liberty :

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

1. Charles 9

Re: @JC2

Could also be the END of it. Heard of the phrase, "No Vacancy"?

38. JMaldonado

Joe

I have no doubt Trump will become President of the USA. Liberal stupidity will crumble after the reality floods their demagoguery and corruption. Hillary is a puppet of the establishment.

39. Captain Badmouth
    FAIL

Trump and Putin

The Times has this, this morning:

"Republican national security experts warned that Donald Trump’s freewheeling rhetoric could provoke “an accidental war” if he became president after the tycoon suggested that he would recognise Russian rule in Crimea.

Asked if he would recognise Russia’s annexation of Crimea and lift US sanctions on Moscow, Mr Trump said: “Yes, we would be looking at that.”

He made the comment during a press conference in Florida on Wednesday..."

Anyone going to tell me he didn't say that?

If he did he's an even bigger arsehole than I thought.

Wait, this is the best bit :

“Donald Trump says he gets his foreign policy experience from watching TV and running the Miss Universe pageant,” Mr Panetta said. “If only it were funny.”

40. Brian Allan 1

I'd much rather the Russians dig up the really juicy pictures of Melania from her nude modelling days!

41. tonys66ca2

Treason? Pot calling kettle black.

After being hammered by the press about any possible links to Putin, Trump jokingly referred to Russia as a possible source to find Hillary's illegally deleted emails. It would be nice to find them whatever the source. The FBI said it was likely Hillary's careless approach to government secrets. If Russia, or any other country has her deletions, please release them. We need to see the true face of Clinton corruption.

42. Nehmo
    Alert

Kieren McCarthy (author) licks Hillary's sphincter

What a blatantly biased article. Asking someone to find illegally deleted emails is not asking that someone to hack the US government. Besides, he specifically said "Russia or whoever". Ridiculous. The real issue is that Hillary deleted the emails when they were already declared as evidence. Russia has nothing to do with it.

Trump has plenty of things worthy of criticism, but this is not one. Indeed, all these reaching attacks by the media have made me move toward him. At least he will have a hostile media. Hillary will have paid servants tailoring the propaganda.

I'm voting _against_ Hillary. I'd rather have immaturity than evil.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like