back to article Apple kills eavesdrop bug in FaceTime

Apple has released a bundle of patches to fix security holes in OS X, iOS, iTunes and Safari. The bevy of updates also includes fixes for a number of issues in Apple's iCloud and iTunes for Windows software. Among the most startling vulnerabilities addressed in the updates is a man-in-the-middle flaw discovered in FaceTime by …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a confession

Had my iPhone now for over two years and never used FaceTime once. Sometimes being on the luddite edge has its advantages.

1. Long John Baldrick

Re: a confession

Don't you mean the clotted edge of technology?

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Same here (well had iPhone since the 3GS), but I can't see the point of trying to show my uggly mug while I'm talking. It probably a nice thing if you have a toddler and are away for a while though.

3. Another User

FaceTime is one of the killer features. The calls are also encrypted what is not the case with most VoIP calls. When your family is spread around the globe you really appreciate such a cost saving feature. A virtual guided tour around the premises is nice. And if you are sitting in the bathtub there are also audio only FaceTime calls.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>what is not the case with most VoIP calls

Yeah when works pays for unlimited minutes don't have to worry about that.

> When your family is spread around the globe

Use case does not apply. Will take your word its killer though.

4. Baldy50

http://thehackernews.com/2016/07/iphone-hack-exploit.html

Old Nokia suits me just fine, not very popular so up to a week between recharges, gave the iphone away donks ago to a friends child.

So don't use social media that much although judging by the way people use it maybe it should be renamed social voyeurism.

2. Alexander Giochalas
    FAIL

The tin-can phone in the article picture...

you know it cannot possibly work the way it is, eehhmmm, pictured, right?

1. Ru'

Re: The tin-can phone in the article picture...

But who cares???

2. BenDwire Silver badge
      Coat

Re: The tin-can phone in the article picture...

Of course. They're holding it wrong ...

3. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

The string has to be tightly strung. Apart from that it's a very nice photo indeed!

4. DJV Silver badge

"Windows users, meanwhile, should check their PCs for updates to iTunes and iCloud"

I don't think so - unless you mean check to see if the damned things have mysteriously sneaked their way in and delete them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like