back to article Backblaze hopes to melt Amazon Glacier customers' hearts

Backblaze has announced its B2 cloud object storage for $0.005/GB/month as an alternative to LTO tape drives. Unlike Amazon’s Glacier tape storage, its disk drive retrieval starts in seconds and takes minutes instead of hours and days, it claims. The first 10GB is free each month and there is no data upload charge. Download …

1. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

Bleh. Backblaze let me down.

Backblaze managed to lose track of my encryption key. I had it in hand! They didn't recognize it. I therefore lost all my data. They didn't care and blamed me for their problem. So long. Good riddance.

1. Tom Samplonius

Re: Bleh. Backblaze let me down.

"Backblaze managed to lose track of my encryption key. I had it in hand! They didn't recognize it. I therefore lost all my data. They didn't care and blamed me for their problem. So long. Good riddance."

I don't think you know what encryption is. If you lose the key, the data is not supposed to be recoverable. The Blackblaze client encrypts data before upload, so data is stored encrypted. Blackblaze did not "lose track of my encryption key", as they never had it. Nor should they. If everyone has the key, it can't be called encryption.

2. batfastad

Regions? Availability zones?

Been using Backblaze for a while and testing B2 for a more scripted backup. But they're still only in a single DC I believe.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Before dumping your backups in any cloud...

2 Simple Questions.

How many DC's is this data spread across?

Do yo have enough cash to cover the next 12 months of operating?

4. Richard Wharram

How many nines of durability

That's the key metric for something like this surely. You wouldn't put anything on it that had immediate unconditional access requirements anyway so the one thing you need is that the data definately stays there no matter how long it takes to come back. S3 is eleven nines if I remember correctly.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Tape' again?

> Unlike Amazon’s Glacier tape storage

For CRYING OUT LOUD, there isn't a damn tape drive ANYWHERE in AWS. Will the editors *please* get a clue and stop regurgitating utter nonsense?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like