back to article Martha Lane Fox: Brexit is all about MEEEEeeee!

Some people think the main issue in the UK’s decision to leave the European Union was sovereignty and self-determination. Others think it was migration. Others think it was class. But you’re all wrong. The main issue in Brexit is Martha Lane Fox – and we have her word for it. Into this Broken Brexited Britain strides the niece …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Martha Fox - is she still a thing in the news?

I tried googling Fox and MLF but didn't get work safe results.

1. james 68

Re: Martha Fox - is she still a thing in the news?

Frankly those are the best type of results.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Google helpfully adds the "i" for you...

1. VinceH

Google doesn't need to. Every time I saw the initials MLF in the article, my mind's voice pronounced them with an 'i'

1. wayne 8

Re: Reduced to a TLA

Why do you think ElReg used "MLF" every chance they could in the article?

I read it the same as you.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: Reduced to a TLA

I'd be happier if we could make a critique based solely on the emptiness of this lady's arguments than the fact her initials are a vague nod to Stifflers Mom.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

iFox - is that a new Apple McDreamy?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

It's almost as if she's an anthropomorphic reincarnation of Fox News.

2. Teiwaz

Sense enough to remove the cat collars from the lordly robe at least....

Unfortunately Baldrick could come up with a better digital plan.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Sense enough to remove the cat collars from the lordly robe at least....

...and all he needs is his cunning middle finger.

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Joke

Post-Brexit Dystopia

“There’s now more reason than ever before to use the Internet as a force for social cohesion and community building.”

And there I was thinking the Internet was simply the means to send death and rape threats to anyone who didn't happen to share one's own opinion on a subject.

Joke Alert icon in case anyone should think I see it that way. I don't but it does seem a fair few do; and that's not funny.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so she's

embiggening herself. does she want a part on the Exit negociations? I really hope that she is ignored.

honestly, she's so 1990's.

I can say that cos I'm an aged hippy.

Peace Bro

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

Re: so she's

...does she want a part on the Exit negotiations?

MLF and Blair - Dream team!

5. Joe Harrison

Her dad brilliant as well

Robin Lane Fox, this is the guy who had a column in the FT where one day I was astonished to read his completely serious piece about a guy named Batson D. Sealing. He apologised the following week for propagating a hoax, but really how could you not see that?

1. Starace

Re: Her dad brilliant as well

Because as they've both found a sub-90 IQ is no handicap if you know the right people.

6. smartypants

Brexit! An end to unelected lawmakers!

...oh hang on.

7. Doogie Howser MD
    Facepalm

Sheesh

There literally is no beginning to this woman's talent. Still, just goes to a show that a little chutzpah can go a long way in this fucked up world.

8. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

She's like...

Totes irrelevant.

9. Naughtyhorse
    Mushroom

Ahhh enlightenment

Coop.....

... well that explains a lot

for those blessed with not having an account at the coop bank,

their website has recently been 'updated' using a state of the art load balancing mechnism.

the site is so shite it's actually quicker for me to get in my car, drive to my local branch and deal with a person.

yes even, when I suddenly remember something at 3am that urgent... still quicker to drive into town and wait six and a half hours for them to open.

... and relax

10. AndyS

I don't get it.

I've heard her on the radio numerous times. I've read some of her stuff. I sort of agree with her on some topics.

And yet, I've never heard her say or do anything interesting. Every time I've heard her, it's just more Motherhood and Apple Pie (digital edition).

If she had something interesting to say, or could coherently discuss a problem and proposed solution (and how that solution would work), or if she was even vaguely entertaining to listen to, I could understand why she would keep being invited back. I guess she's a bit of a wiki-interviewee - she can be molded and encouraged to say whatever suits the agenda of the interviewer. It's all very... boring.

1. david bates

Re: I don't get it.

Woman in STEM

Woman Entrepreneur

Woman in Politics

Woman in the Public Eye

For a lazy journo with a quota to fill she ticks a lot of boxes.

11. The Bobster

"Manifesto for a Networked Nation" should be a case study on every marketing degree course.

12. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

A bit quiet of late in the Lords

https://hansard.parliament.uk/search/MemberContributions?memberId=4275&type=Spoken

https://hansard.parliament.uk/search/MemberContributions?memberId=4275&type=Divisions

13. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    IT Angle

Ray of Sunshine

I hope to be a ray of sunshine in today’s debate on a rather gloomy afternoon.

Self-deprecating...

As I have said before, the House of Lords—unlike me, not given to hyperbole

Startups...

When I think back to all of the start-ups that are energising the UK—as I am sure the Minister will tell us, there are practically more start-ups in this country than in Silicon Valley

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Lords/2015-12-10/debates/15121057000179/BusinessCommunity#contribution-15121057000075

14. John Lilburne

Isn't it the internets that caused this?

People are now mostly engaged online posting cat funnies, conspiracy theories, racist hate, in echo chambers and silos.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Isn't it the internets that caused this?

Well, the internet is the open form of the closed ward.

15. a_yank_lurker

On This Side

We have the same problem, politicians (aka imbeciles) saying everyone should learn programming when the educational systems does teach the prerequisites to successful programming. A form of waving the digital wand and forgetting someone actual has to build, move, and maintain physical products.

1. Mark 85

Re: On This Side

A form of waving the digital wand and

Didn't we use to call that "willy waving"? Or a urinating contest? I note that here in the States, the politicos are still doing it and doing it louder than ever.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On This Side

Id setel for the yoof of terday just lerning inglish grammer and spelling, which is like majik innit?

16. FuzzyWuzzys
    Facepalm

I don't want to knock her...

...as I'm sure she's probably got some good ideas but I'm still staggered that someone can arrange, NOT develop but arrange for other people to create, a website to sell cut price trips and then suddenly become a government IT darling, beloved by all who have no idea how IT or tech works. I suppose that's her thing, she explains "all those super complicated computer gizmos" to the chattering classes in a language they all understand via the medium of Guardian and Radio 4 programmes.

17. ecofeco Silver badge

This says it all

Having a "digital policy" is a massive diversion. It's yet another way do gooders can disguise self interest as virtue.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

18. Roj Blake Silver badge

Lastminute.com

Have any of MLF's projects not ended up crashing and burning?

19. Alistair
    Coat

Sadly, from the left side of the pond

;

Every time I read MLF in there, I dated myself.

Reference material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB7PRY1Aqds

20. GitMeMyShootinIrons

An idea for a TV show...

It's obvious really. A programme on tech and the internets presented by MLF and Stephen Fry. With quality like that, what could go wrong? Auntie might be needing a replacement for Bake Off soon - this would be GREAT!!!

21. Chris G

I Think

When MLF gets home at night and peels off the mask, she is actually Stephen Fry.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heartbreaking

We invented the industrial revolution, global capitalism, the very concept of a modern computer, and now our version of digital policy is this...

Is it because the landed gentry still rule the country and the concept of actually making things is alien to them? Is it because we are so pisspoor at tech that she actually stands out as someone who is amazing? Is it a giant joke perpetrated by disgruntled millennials who should have been voting instead?

In related news suggesting that the Internet and Social Cohesion are related makes it very hard not to go all 386 on their asses.

23. Commswonk

I still don't understand...

...how dreaming up lastminute.com makes MFL an internet expert, much less a technology expert.

Perhaps her continued existence merely serves to demonstrate that "Bullshit baffles brains", although that argument is weakened by the fact that her usual target audience is a bit short on the "brains" side and all too eager to listen to the words of "wisdom" however wrong they might be.

I approach all the "internet / technology / connectedness / buzzword of choice" crap as a modern version of the Emporer's New Clothes just ripe for being debunked.

See http://dilbert.com/strip/1999-01-15, which says it all really.

24. Hollerithevo

MLF -- really, Register?

I could not really get to the point of this article, except that you think Lane-Fox is a waste of space. The use of MLF to induce a sexual snigger is tiresome. If an article is about a woman, let;s make sure we remind everyone that she is a fuckable object, as a further way to undermine her.

I am no fan of hers, but can we at least be civil?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

25. goldcd

As always

The correct way to review any announcement is to postulate the complete opposite, and see if that has any sense.

If it doesn't, then the announcement is a complete piece of obvious pish, and aside from a rhetorical point awarded for making you read it, ignore it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon