back to article Datrium adds insane mode to boost speed

Datrium, the startup disaggregating a SAN by having host-based controller SW and flash caches, has added an Insane Mode to turbo-charge performance. The DVX system strips out virtually everything from an external array, leaving a single box with NVRAM and disk capacity (12 x 4TB 7.2K drives and 48TB raw/29TB usable capacity), …

1. gerdesj Silver badge

Bingo!

"Datrium, the startup disaggregating a SAN by having host-based controller SW and flash caches, has added an Insane Mode to turbo-charge performance."

So, you take SAN and turn it into a NAS?

That gets you 24 customers and some investment - cool. Then you reveal the astonishing fact that using higher capacity discs increases capacity - amazing.

Where do I sign.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bingo!

hahaha it's ridiculous isn't!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

JABOD?

Just Another Box Of Disks? I can see why one would want to run software on the host, but it seems the box at this point holds little more than a powersupply, controllers and disks - a beefy IO system, however not a word on how it connects. And at what price?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: JABOD?

It seems as if have 2 filesystems to deal with. The one they install on the host and the one on the array. I wonder the ramifications from an interop as well as an upgrade perspective. How often do upgrades happen and in how many places? I'd imagine for a young company upgrades would be quite frequent.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022