back to article Intel chips in with blockchain code for Hyperledger

The Linux Foundation's Hyperledger Project has another big name on board: Intel. The project was announced in December, but got its first serious impetus back in February when IBM slung its blockchain code into the effort. During this month, the project has coalesced further, and is on the prowl for more contributors. A …

1. PNGuinn
    Boffin

"consensus algorithm, called Proof of Elapsed Time (PoET)"

Very inventive.

Friday = Poet's Day.

Also known as pub o'clock.

3/10. See me afterwards.

1. Baldy50

Re: "consensus algorithm, called Proof of Elapsed Time (PoET)"

Thought it stood for 'Piss Of Early tomorrow's Saturday'?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Currently blockchain stuff looks like a solution looking for a problem. Very clever and all, but lacking how its use would be integrated into a real world solution...

1. cbars Silver badge

err... here's one: Audit Trails

I'd like to know my log files are the complete picture, and some clever little bastard hasn't come in and played with them to hide or obfuscate anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, provision of an audit trail IS the prime function. What is the key use? Good luck with massive log files on your inhouse distributed blockchain system.

You could just use git or yavcs to check noones been at your logs...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The problems it is trying to solve is "how do we sell more [cloud] storage and more bandwidth", both of which will be needed if blockchain technology is used for a lot of stuff. Even with its fairly pathetic transaction rate Bitcoin is already running up against the limits of its 1MB block size and the total blockchain size is over 70 GB.

Now imagine if something with a transaction rate thousands of times as fast, like stock purchases, or even faster like ACH clearance used a blockchain? You'd quickly need a room full of hard drives to store the damn thing, and ridiculous bandwidth to squirt it around.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like