back to article Finnish court slaps Peter Sunde with €350k fine

Pirate Bay cofounder Peter Sunde has been hit with a fine worth nearly US$400,000 by a court in Helsinki. The Helsinki District Court issued the fine, with local outlet Digitoday reporting (in Finnish) the €350,000 fine is for his role in facilitating copyright infringement. The fine includes €55,000 in costs. The court case …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Digital Jesus getting fined for your sins.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

The "fines"

have never been collected.

Oh really, i wonder why???

€350,000?? Go fuck yourselves. This is an individual who shared links, not content.

Utterly disproportiante for the amount the record companies say they have lost. They lost *nothing*.

Bite my fat white yorkshire arse Sony, BMI etc.

3. MrDamage Silver badge

WTF?

He'll be fined for information he has no control over being posted on a site he has no control over?

Methinks the magistrates in question have been spending too much time in Amsterdam cafes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WTF?

I doubt they have to travel that far for whatever they're smoking but otherwise I agree with your point!

4. Ole Juul

Irresponsible

So the courts take up valuable time with this shit when they could have been dealing with more important issues.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Go

Re: Irresponsible

"So the courts take up valuable time with this shit when they could have been dealing with more important issues."

Yup, let's sue the phone company because someone called in a bomb threat. Obviously the phone company is to blame.

2. DiViDeD

Re: more important issues

Sorry to burst your bubble Ole, but there *are* no more important issues than driving home the seriousness of the possibility Sony BMG may have lost a sale.

What are you? A communist?

5. DropBear
    Devil

WTF?!? I understand he's no longer associated, and has already been tried for this!

"Each defendant was sentenced to one year in prison and ordered to pay damages of 30 million SEK (approximately €2,740,900 or US$3,620,000), to be apportioned among the four defendants.[12] After the verdict a press conference was held where Sunde held up a handwritten IOU statement claiming that is all the damages he will pay, adding "Even if I had any money I would rather burn everything I own and not even give them the ashes. They could have the job of picking them up. That's how much I hate the media industry."

My kind of guy.... now, how do I go about getting a second car strictly "for me, on my name" that someone else might accidentally acquire the rights to drive around for a few decades...?

6. x 7

" “Deniece Williams, Suvi Teräsniska, Chisu, Vesa-Matti Loiri, Anna Abreau, Michael Monroe, Antti Tuisku, Juha Tapio and Children of Bodom”,"

Who? Never heard of them. Are they famous? For what?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Finnish artists, one of whom is playing at the O2 in London this weekend. Others are popular in Finland and Children of Bodom have a massive following worldwide.

2. x 7

"Children of Bodom"

sounds more like the result of miscegenation with a chapati

7. Androgynous Cow Herd

When they cannot collect...

The labels can then call it a "Loss" on thier taxes...not like when they used to "Lose" a few hundred thousand pressings of a particular album off the books. Back then, they just screwed the artist. This time, they screw everyone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon