back to article Feds warn of skyrocketing CEO fraud scams

The FBI is warning that businesses have handed some US$3.1 billion to email scammers, a whopping 1,300 percent increase in 18 months. Businesses are tricked into sending the cash to would-be chief executive officers who have sufficient company information, obtained through open source searching or hacking, that makes the …

1. TY_W

Data Collection

I have seen tons of these scams through the years. Even today I get those filtered right to my spam box. At times some of the fake job offers claiming they have a job opportunity for you are only trying to collect information to add you to their database and usually puts you on some other list of spam possibilities.

Honestly I can not stand those message claiming to be a job offer when they are just a hoax or scam wanting your personally identifiable information. They have been trying to figure out why there are so many database breaches and compromises, that is one of the primary reasons. The information is collected and then eventually utilized for purposes of such.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like