back to article Fiber optic cables prove eyes of glass squids are like invisibility cloaks

Researchers from the University of Pennsylvania have used fiber optic cables to reveal how glass squids turn themselves invisible, according to a paper published in the Journal of The Royal Society Interface. Glass squids are a type of cephalopod – a group which also includes the octopus – and encompass approximately 60 …

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

Next step is a Cloak of Invisibility +5????

1. Grade%

Ya but, eww, a cloak made from icky octopus skin?

2. Adam 1

if they really want fibre to become invisible...

Perhaps they could have a quick chat to the good folk at nbn. They seem to have found a way to make lots of promised fibre disappear.

3. M7S

GM stealth sharks, almost there

Just need to cloak the lasers now,

Mwahahahaha

of should that be MWWAHAHAHAHAHAHA ?

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Invisible squids? We're doomed... As if the cuttlefish weren't dangerous enough...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Neato

Now if we can just train a ton of them to swim together, we have an organic underwater fiber optic cable!

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Completely off-topic, but here is a photo of a fish inside a jellyfish. Marine creatures are weird.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Fibre Optics - reflectin of refraction?

I was once told by one of the scientists working on Kao's team at STL that optical fibres work by refraction and not reflection; the refractive index of the fibre increases with distance from the center of the fibre with the result that light travelling down the fibre is 'bent' back towards the center of the fibre before reaching the internal walls, rather than reflecting off of the internal walls of the fibre, which would degrade the resolution of the light pulse. However, this was a pub conversation (icon) about 40 years ago so I can't absolutely confirm this, and it does seem to contradict the generally accepted mechanism.

1. TheDillinquent

Re: Fibre Optics - reflectin of refraction?

My fibre optics lecturer at uni told me the same thing. Monomode graded-index fibres work by refraction.

Multimode step-index fibres use total internal reflection.

I'm not convinced that 'fibre optics work like mirrors' though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020