back to article HPE 'rewrites' ALM to target agile and open source folks

Application Lifecycle Management – ALM – was, in many ways, the early 2000s version of DevOps. In that pre-cloud world, it was the idea of taking software from build through test and retirement from inside your integrated development environment. Proponents of ALM were the IDE makers – IBM, Borland Software, Microsoft, Oracle …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

ALM, DevOps - it all smacks of consultancies who seem to have had no previous experience of real life in IT.

Assuming the project isn't a death march and doesn't get canned after go-live initial development takes a reasonably short period compared with the time spent in production. During production it gets maintained as requirements change and get added to, and maybe well-hidden bugs become apparent. Hence my contention that development is the process of launching a software system into the maintenance cycle.

Periodically this normality is apparently rediscovered by people who appear to think they've made an astounding discovery and it's given a new name. The cynical*, of course, might think that they secretly knew about it all the time but just want to hang a few new tools, courses, consultancy jobs etc. round it. They're not really as deeply ignorant as they appear, they're just selling to PHBs who don't know any better.

*Cynical - moi?

1. the J to the C

I understand your view however I have found ALM and DevOps to be a breath of fresh air, its such a joy not having to wait on SLA's and having some idea what is really going on

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021