back to article Want a job that pays at least $90,000 a year? Get into ransomware

An analysis of the finances and operation of a ransomware outfit has shown it's entirely possible to bankroll a modest-sized crime gang on victims' payoffs. Dark web monitoring firm Flashpoint has been following a ransomware-as-a-service campaign organized by Russian crooks since December 2015, tracking the recruitment of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's no point

Automation will take away those jobs in just a few years, so why bother taking the time to learn how to write good ransomware?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There's no point

Damn robots, even taking the jobs of criminals these days! (Say it in Bender's voice, it sounds funnier)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cybercrime...

Who says quality tech jobs are dead or all outsourced....

Seems like a growth area to me, with well paid future prospects!

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Cybercrime...

The vacation facilities in the Mother Land might leave a little to be desired. I hear they are a bit drafty and can get rather cold especially in Siberia.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"vacation facilities in the Mother Land might leave a little to be desired"

Sure, but they still haven't caught Mr Zeus...

3. paulf
    Joke

$90k is all well and good...

But what are the other benefits? Health care and dental plan? Non-contributory pension scheme? Subsidised Gym membership? Generous holiday allowance plus Bank Holidays? Bouncy castle and free soft drinks in the IT office that's in the sub-volcano island lair.

I can't help thinking in that line of work a pension probably isn't much use (excepting the Mr Big) as you're not likely to live long enough to draw it. And you'll get plenty of exercise staying one step ahead of the law.

4. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

The HQ of a global ransomware operation has been identified

You must have see this open goal coming ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like