back to article HPE staff letter revealed!

As we reported earlier today, HPE's enterprise services unit will merge with CSC. An HPE staffer, who has asked to remain anonymous, forwarded us the letter sent to staff, prefaced with the sentiment that "God HPE is a joyous place to work right now :(" The letter is signed by "Mike", almost certainly Mike Nefkens, the …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Joke

HPECSC

Isn't that some sort of VD?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Explaons why they've been making redundancies beyond their ability to maintain contracts.

Good to hear it here first... Off o work o:check my email.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Echoes from a few years ago

This isn't the first time that CSC have absorbed HPES staff. HP lost a major contract some years ago and the HP staff who didn't run to other HP contracts, once the writing was on the wall, were migrated to CSC. It wasn't a happy time for either the staff or CSC and staff turnover has been significant. This will leave CSC with more government contracts in hand and they've had problems in the past sourcing enough appropriately skilled people to do the work they already have. It's now a gamble for CSC. If the people from HPE stay with CSC it may solve their recruitment headache. OTOH the contract market is strong at the moment and the most capable individuals may well decide to go freelance.

4. kmac499

Management Focus, ??

So the first fact he reveals about a major re-org is it's "Tax Free"

No mention of numbers impacted, site closures or movements. The stuff you would expect a manager should communicate with their staff to quell any rumours just ain't there...

Forget any career grade techy skills you might have, if you want to impress this guy don't pay tax.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Management Focus, ??

Exactly what I was about to say. Any email to all employees that begins "Today we announced plans for a tax-free spin-off and merger" tells you precisely where the interests of employees figure in the plans.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Management Focus, ??

>>So the first fact he reveals about a major re-org is it's "Tax Free"

Exactly my thoughts. Stuff the staff, impress the markets/future employment prospects.

5. highdiver_2000

What does this leave HPE with? Server and storage business?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Enterprise Group (includes the Server and Storage businesses), Software and Financial Services.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More Corporate Bollocks

So CSC are going to try and pick up the shambles HPE's blood letting has caused clients. I hope the board of CSC have people on it actually competent at IT Services because that lack of passion and skill on HP's board has been HP's single biggest short coming ever since it bought EDS.

Sadly for HPE staff I sense yet more staff being clubbed like baby seals on the Canadian ice shelf !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More Corporate Bollocks

I doubt that CSC's board can be considered as more competent than HP's when it comes to IT Services. The CSC contract to supply Lorenzo patient record systems to the NHS has been an omni-shambles with CSC being described by the chair of the Public Accounts Committee, Margaret Hodge, as a “rotten company providing a hopeless system” during a hearing on 12 June 2013 (see UNCORRECTED TRANSCRIPT OF ORAL EVIDENCE To be published as HC 294-i).

CSC also had to eat humble pie and pay a $190m fine to the US Securities and Exchange Commission after the SEC charged the firm with "manipulating financial results and concealing significant problems" related to its massive IT contract for the National Health Service.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

To be fair (a mostly odd concept on ElReg I know) the real CSC NHS issues all happened under Mike Laphen's tenure and is now a rather different company.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Like all companies it is a curate's egg. The parts I worked for were still struggling as recently as last year and I don't recall any significant change leading to a "rather different company". I know some staff consider CSC hard done by and state, often, that the company sticks to its guns, doesn't let customers down and finishes the job. Which is laudable in some ways but it would be better not to get into a mess in the first place.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Glad I left

I'm so glad I left Enterprise services in April. It is a horrendous place to work, and now this on top.

Fellow ex-EDSers I feel your pain. Get out while you can.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wah wah waaaahh!

Having worked for both companies, a chimera of both is not encouraging.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was on the cards

Well it does not come as a surprise. HP have been shedding jobs and best shoring to try and look like a going concern. In reality, the company is a hollow shell, unable to support it's existing accounts. It's going to get much worse before it gets better. Glad I got my redundancy money out of them when I did. The people left behind are the ones who are suffering. The next redundancy round will see a hell of a lot more voluntary requests, hopefully those that want out can get out.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We'll take the best of..." statement would worry the hell out of me if I worked for any of their ESS teams

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022