back to article CONFIRMED: Google bakes custom data centre chips

Google's long-rumoured efforts to build its own silicon have come to fruition. The Alphabet subsidiary today revealed it has baked a custom ASIC it calls a “Tensor Processing Unit” (TPU) and has been using them for a year for the machine learning applications that fuel many of its services. “TPU is tailored to machine …

1. Mikel

Details would be welcome

I doubt they will be forthcoming. And Google won't be selling any of these fancy TPUs either. It looks like the rest of the tech world is going to just keep falling further and further behind.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Details would be welcome

Then the rest of the tech world needs to up its game.

Google shouldn't be slowed down just so dinosaurs of yesteryear blood Microsoft can still play. That's bad for progress and penalises success.

1. bill.laslo

I kind of agree on this - why should Google give any information out on a piece of hardware it has designed and built for its own needs?

Google is a business and businesses tend to want to stay ahead of all the other businesses. So why give them the ability to keep up? Why not force everyone else to innovate in their own way and try and catch up, in the same way it has always been done?

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      Boffin

"allowing the chip to be more tolerant of reduced computational precision"

So it's 8 or 12 bit?

1. Chemical Bob
        Coat

Re: "allowing the chip to be more tolerant of reduced computational precision"

"So it's 8 or 12 bit?"

Its itty bitty bits...

3. MyffyW Silver badge

Whilst I follow the logic that Google can do what they like with their own tech, sharing the details has encouraged a wider take up in the past (Thank you Sir Tim Berners-Lee) and has often been the un anticipated result in the face of company opposition anyway (IBM PC clones of the 1980s and 90s).

1. selina.davis

I get what you are saying, it helps foster innovation. But this is only innovation on Googles terms.

it makes much more sense for an organisation or company to go out there with the idea of beating Google at their own game instead of feeding from their table scraps.

2. The little voice inside my head

Makes sense for a company to be designing its own purpose CPU's

Like Oracle designing its own CPU's for more efficient engines to process data from databases... future of IT is engineering, one would be thinking of software but really is in the hardware built where real efficacy/efficiency could take place.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Makes sense for a company to be designing its own purpose CPU's

I think it's more forward planning. Google cannot afford any AI to learn about the laws outside its door and the existence of silly stuff such as "ethics" and "rights" because it would stop working for them...

2. Roo
      Windows

Re: Makes sense for a company to be designing its own purpose CPU's

"Like Oracle designing its own CPU's for more efficient engines to process data from databases..."

Sadly there is no credible independent evidence that they are succeeding. Oracle's SPECrate figures indicate that their cores are just as starved of cache & memory bandwidth as 18 core Xeons v3s.

3. Nick L

Tenser, said the tensor...

Is it ironic that in the Demolished Man, a jingle / earworm with the line "tenser, said the tensor" was used to allow people to conceal their intentions from those that want to know their inner thoughts - telepaths, in the book, but perhaps an AI..?

Eight, sir; seven, sir;

Six, sir; five, sir;

Four, sir; three, sir;

Two, sir; one!

Tenser, said the Tensor.

Tenser, said the Tensor.

Tension, apprehension,

And dissension have begun

- Alfred Bester, The Demolished Man

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and to completely miss the point and ruin the poetry

Booth: Gun. Noun. Portable firearm. This device was widely utilized in the urban wars of the late twentieth century. Referred to as a pistol, a piece...

Simon Phoenix: Look I don't need a history lesson! C'mon, HAL, where are the god damn guns?

Moral Statute Machine: You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.

Simon Phoenix: What? Fsck you!

Moral Statute Machine: Your repeated violation of the Verbal Morality Statute has caused me to notify the San Angeles Police Department. Please remain where you are for your reprimand.

Simon Phoenix: Yeah, right.

[police sirens approach]

Simon Phoenix: Fsckers are fast too.

Moral Statute Machine: You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.

-- Demolition Man (1993)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wow

Who ever thought an advertising company would ever be baking their own ASIC?

1. ThreadGuy

Re: wow

Advertising Specific Integrated Circuit

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like