back to article Tintri debuts storage precog that knows what you'll need in 6 months

Tintri has made a triple-play for its future with enlarged flash capacity, the addition of scale-out and predictive analytics so customers never need get surprised by space running out. The three existing T5000 all-flash arrays now use Samsung 3D V-NAND SSDs, the ones with TLC (3bits/cell) flash, and their raw capacity has …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smartest thing TinTri could do...

Stay private until they can show a profit. If they could manage that they'd be heads and shoulders above the IPO wunderkinds.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not scale out

can we actually hold these vendors accountable for misappropriation of commonly defined terms. this is not a scale out storage platform period, full stop.

1. gmoneymac

Re: not scale out

Can you please provide your definition of "scale out"? Then, provide some examples of architectures/vendors that fit the definition? Thanks.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not a unique feature, the analytics side of things has been available with other vendors for quite some time - large and small.

To the AC saying stay private until they are profitable - it's incredibly hard for a company to make a profit before IPO and many companies spend *years* after an IPO getting profitable. After 10 years Twitter finally made a profit......even then it was $7m!!

An IPO is not some kind of right of passage - they IPO because -

1.) They need the cash injection to grow - fund headcount, R&D, etc.

2.) Employees are expecting the IPO - early joiners may be rolling in it, late joiners treat it like a litle bonus.

3.) VC's may want their cash. Some do, some double down and buy more shares.

It's a really bad time for anyone who has not IPO'd in my opinon. Markets are bad and the Venture Capitalists are starting to get a bit more stingy, there are many out there who wont support another round of funding or get involved in further funding. You're going to see a lot of companies selling themselves rather than hosting an IPO I believe.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Impressive

Well-differentiated technology that continues to drill into a big gap in the market--way ahead of the "MORE IOPS" message echoed by Nimble, Pure, etc. Well done Tintri.

5. Christian Berger

Fascinating...

...how you can sell simple exponential curve fitting as a feature. It seems to me like that's a feature a single person would develop in an afternoon.

There are even Youtube videos on how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta4MZS7w2VA

I'm not very good at math, but for me the hardest thing to understand is the accent.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Something fishy about dem numbers

Sooooo any word as to why Tintri need to tout different effective capacity numbers for each system? Surely as the AFAs will be performing the same dedupe/compression/pattern match functionality, the efficiency would be the same?

I've never seen a vendor quote 2.83:1 ratio for one system, and 3.3:1 for another, especially when the overall market tends to work on 4:1-5:1. Why bother confusing the market and customers even more with these made up figures - perhaps the numbers are cooked to be competitive with other systems?

Of course the hybrid systems will have worse effective capacity as the data efficiency features only apply to the flash tier, not the capacity tier.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Something fishy about dem numbers

I think those numbers has nothing to do with space savings.. It's a comparison to the old systems.

Old 5040 6TB raw, new 5040 17TB raw = 2,83...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fishy numbers?!

I think those numbers has nothing to do with space savings.. It's a comparison to the old systems.

Old 5040 6TB raw, new 5040 17TB raw = 2,83...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fishy numbers

I think those numbers has nothing to do with space savings.. Its a comperision to the old AFA systems..

Old T5040 6TB RAW, new T5040 17TB RAW = 2,83...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tintri should merge with Tegile

because everyone thinks they are the same company - and they have similar products.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tintri should merge with Tegile

No-one should merge with Tegile. They're not that stupid.

10. Androgynous Cow Herd

TIntri leaps to remain relevant

The whole move to telemetry based support and predictive analytics for storage really started with Nimble Infosight, which was a huge refinement over the primitive "Phone home/Autosupport" predecessors. It is good for TinTri and their customers that they have finally added this functionality. Hopefully it is better than Pure's "Pure1" Infosight knockoff that they appear to have abandoned. Much of the storage industry is trying to come up with something that looks like Infosight and I think this in response to Nimble's success in this area. However,the method that Infosight was developed and implimented within the product OS (It's been in the product since the initial beta round in 2010) and how it works under the hood make the total functionality very challenging to "bolt on" the depth of data Nimble actually has - we are talking billions of data points ingested daily.

The guys at TinTri are smart - but Nimble has a 6 year head start on the entire industry in the area of predictive analytics

And Block storage is more versatile storage.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon