back to article Steelie Neelie Kroes joins Uber as competition advisor

Controversial taxi app biz Uber has appointed former EU competition and telecoms regulator "Steelie" Neelie Kroes to advise it on, er, competition and regulation. No doubt Kroes' wealth of knowledge of the EU's reams of red tape will help the biz navigate the very regulators Uber has repeatedly butted heads with in the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wot???

So.....Gamekeeper turned poacher?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: wot???

I would not be so sure.

More like gamekeeper advising poachers how not to get caught. That in turn may be twofold:

A) Hunt where and when it is legal, albeit exploiting the letter of the law (not the spirit) to the last inch in their favor.

B) Poach in a way where they will not to get caught - outright illegal, just leverage the lack of enforcement.

We will see how this works based on what Uber tries to do. In fairness - it is competing in an industry where 90% of the existing regs are in desperate need of rewriting as they are invalid on competition grounds. The reason for this not happening is that nobody tried to look into that. So she may have enough honest work without turning poacher.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Revolving doors are dangerous...

... there should be a policy forbidding this for at least n years after having being in charge.

A sort of non-competitive agreement that many companies like when it's people leaving them...

And whoever accepts those jobs should be forced to renounce to any taxpayer money he or she still receives. After all, in many countries, if you keep on working you don't get retirement money, or have other disadvantages as well.

Uber is employng a "search & destroy" tactic - IMHO it will backfire...

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Revolving doors are dangerous...

A Eurocrat renouncing their "old French Civil Service" lifetime pension. You gotta be kidding me (you should look up some of the details - they came out in public around Brown bringing back the Dark Lord from Brussels).

IMHO this revolving door direction is all right. I do not see anything wrong in an ex-public servant working in the industry with some reasonable amount of non-compete restrictions.

The other revolving door is the dangerous one - where (especially in the UK), industry execs move into government and/or regulatory quangos without surrendering shares, pension, benefits and any of their vested interest. I can point to actual names here, but why bother - they are all very well known.

3. Warm Braw

Where next for the former Eurocrat regulator-in-chief?

If unable to predict the future, Uber can likely tell you where she's been, especially if she doesn't toe the line.

4. Panicnow

Pay-off time

Amazing how Uber has been able to ignore the regulations EU companies have had to obey.

Oh, now its not so amazing.

Blair got paid-off £23m in has first year after being PM. In a period when Big business was rescued by tax payers money it seems

Can I be a regulator so I'm next in the queue!

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Integrity? I love it. And I'm willing to pay for it!" *

* Punchline from an old joke.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like