back to article Microsoft wants devs to take notes on their families

Microsoft has GitHubbed a framework that could finally make an Internet-connected refrigerator useful: an application for family members to leave notes for each other. Well, actually FamilyNotes is a developer demonstrator with two aims: to give developers more examples of putting code together in the Universal Windows …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Put down the pitchforks: this is a demonstration and training exercise

That will be copied and pasted to kingdom come...

Security has to be in the examples, not bolted on afterwards.

1. VinceH
      Big Brother

Re: Put down the pitchforks: this is a demonstration and training exercise

It comes to something when you have to wear a disguise to prevent your fridge from recognising you.

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Put down the pitchforks: this is a demonstration and training exercise

It will certainly make raiding the fridge for snacks in the middle of the night a little trickier

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: midnight fridge raids

"Open the fridge door, HAL."

"I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

1. BebopWeBop

Re: midnight fridge raids

"Open the fridge door Darling"

I'm sorry Dave, you are on a diet.

2. mythicalduck
    Black Helicopters

Local or remote processing?

So does the face and speech recognition work locally, or does it bundle all the data off to every Tom, Dick and Harry for "processing"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Re: Local or remote processing?

What do you think?

1. Geoffrey W

RE: "What do you think?"

Internet commentards don't think; they react.

1. Richard Plinston

> Internet commentards don't think; they react.

Your reaction is noted.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

'or does it bundle all the data off to every Tom, Dick and Harry for "processing"?'

Or just to a dick?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wasn't the FBI collecting face data?

What a a timing...

4. jake Silver badge

In my circle ...

... We've been using "Post-Its"[tm] since about 1980. Place one on a door (cupboard, closet, oven, fridge, garage, front, back, barn, whathaveyou), and all HumansWithAClue know what we need in that venue. Seems to work quite nicely. No computers required. Or wanted, for this particular non-problem.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: In my circle ...

Post-Its? Rampant consumerism, indulging in new-fangled thingies like that...

What's wrong with using a twig to scrawl a message in the dirt in front of the cave, huh?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: In my circle ...

A stick in't mud? Thats reet posh is that. When I were a lad me old man would make me sit in't cold til I remembered what need doin' and I'd be glad of it. If I could ne'er remember what ee'd want remindin' ee'd send me down't pit fer punishment. Appen sometime's ee'd punch me lights aaht.

Mind you ee'd send me down't pit fer 'oliday an all wi a good punchin'

Bless 'im. Daft ol' bastard. These days ee figures out what needs rememberin' using them there scraps o' tatty newspapers n that there ol' pencil from't bookies. Had that 9 year ee 'as...appen its shorter than the ol' ladies temper now. Been whittlin' it down all them years. Not one for wasting owt my ol' fella.

Mend n mek do...thats what ee always says.

5. Captain DaFt

"Microsoft has GitHubbed a framework that could finally make an Internet-connected refrigerator useful: an application for family members to leave notes for each other."

And I have one that renders Microsoft's work obsolete:

A wipeable memo board with attached pen that you stick on the fridge. >POW< Take that, IoT!

1. Pseudonymous Diehard

True but whiteboard markers run out of ink. For only 9.99 on top of your Office 365 you can have an additional 10 notes a month using Microsofts inevitablly upcoming product.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ewww

I do not want my computer "recognizing" anything except my password. I have been know to use post-it notes...to cover the camera lens on my devices. AC because I'm an old wrinkly lady typing this in the altogether from my bedroom. If you need brain bleach after that, well, Microsoft, stop peeping.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Ewww

"AC because I'm an old wrinkly lady typing this in the altogether from my bedroom. If you need brain bleach after that, well, Microsoft, stop peeping."

Ain't any of us getting any younger. Love the skin you're in. It's the only one you've got. (I wonder how many teenagers will downvote this post ...)

7. an ominous mass
    Coat

It gets worse

Just wait until the adult industry get their hands on this.

"Who keeps putting batteries on the shopping list and what are you doing with them ?" The refrigerator asked in a poll of the rest of the house's IoThings.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like