back to article Back up the trucks for Zuck's bucks: Facebook revenues up 52 per cent

Facebook says skyrocketing advertising bucks are behind a huge jump in revenues and income this year. For the first quarter of its fiscal 2016 year, the House of Zuck reported: Revenues of $5.4bn were up 52 per cent from last year's $3.5bn. Net income of $1.5bn was a 195 per cent increase from a reported $512m in last year' …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

"We're focused on our 10-year roadmap to give everyone in the world the power to share anything they want with anyone."

We already have that. It's called the pirate bay.

1. Mark 85

No-no.. by that, he meant to share with FB. Part of the T&C... you're a member and share everything you own, know with them. Sadly, it's only a one-way share.

2. Mike Echo

Will facebook die?

A while ago I thought that facebook was like so many other things that seem to come and go and imagined it would only be a matter of time before the novelty wore off and facebook would fade into obscurity. Once mums and dads started using facebook, I thought that the cool factor would have evaporated and that kids would move on to the next big thing. Nobody wants to be seen hanging out with parents and all that. Personally, I have a facebook account but only check it once or twice a year, mainly to thank people for wishing me happy birthday after they have been prompted by facebook.

Maybe I was completely wrong (I know advertising income does not equal user growth but advertisers will not throw money at a dwindling user base). It would be interesting to see just where the user growth is happening, because if it is increasing in places where people don't have much of a disposable income then such growth is not going to do much for advertisers.

Will the facebook novelty wear off? When?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will facebook die?

Facebook have lost kids and the original university student demographic, but snagged the most important demo of all for advertising. The affluent poor. Chavs who spend all their disposable income on crap to fill their otherwise empty lives.

This demo access Facebook entirely by phone, and may not even own a desktop or landline.

The advertising on Facebook, in theory well target, is in practice generic and chavvy regardless of who you are.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Will facebook die?

I'm worried. The person who replied to me (now deleted) wrote something really interesting, and I think the government may have killed them.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is Zuk a Psychopath or a Sociopath?

Like Goldman CEO, Lord Bankfine, Zuk really believes he's 'doing god's work'... Data slurping us to advertisers, while pitching it as connecting the world. Zuk is a classic psychopath!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is Zuk a Psychopath or a Sociopath?

Is Zuk a Psychopath or a Sociopath?

They're not mutually exclusive conditions, so "both" is an answer too.

Zuk really believes he's 'doing god's work'

Funny that, I don't remember a commandment "Thou shallt not haveth privacy" (sorry, my Old English sucks). There is "Thou shallt not steal" and "Thou shallt not covet (various)", though, to which we could add "someone else's information".

Alas, it's too much to hope for a great lightening bolt from the sky.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Visit Advert Preferences....

Settings -> Adverts -> Adverts based on my preferences ->

<Click-on-Edit>

<Click on Visit Advert Preferences>....

I use Facebag rarely if ever, just to send PMs. Yet the Ad list above is getting increasingly populated. I block cookies and JS and use Host file blocking. Now I don't even get Ads on YouTube anymore. Yet somehow this list is getting populated. My wife uses Facebag extensively and even her list doesn't get filled as fast. What's going, anyone have any ideas? How is this possible...

1. Mark 85

Re: Visit Advert Preferences....

What I'm hearing from friends is that they think the more you block (hide?), the more they toss at you in the hope that something gets through. It's just speculation based on a few people, but sounds possible.

5. msknight

$5.4bn can also buy a lot of lawyers to go after small business people - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-36148093 - "Instagram insists littergram app is renamed"

6. Rick Brasche

makes me wonder

if the companies selling the products and paying for ads are seeing significant sales increases/returns on all these $billions$ that actually justify the constant expenses, or is the advertising Emperor still naked and too much inertia keeps the adclick industry from failing?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like