back to article Yahoo! shows! off! for! suitors! by! diving! into! red! ink!

Yahoo! seems resigned to its fate, and says it is "pleased" with taking a $98m loss on the quarter. The Purple Palace on Tuesday recorded yet another drop in revenues and acknowledged it was making "significant progress" towards the sale of its core business. For the Q1 2016 period, ended March 31: Revenue was $1.09bn, down …

1. Adrian Midgley 1

What do Starboard Value

make or sell that is any use to me?

Flickr is useful.

2. Mark 85

So how does this work...?

Revenue, profit, and everything else is down including. morale (probably). And the CEO is happy about this and uses all the buzzwords, too. Unless the goal is to drive the share price down, and thus the heavy investors?

3. Youngone Silver badge

Wow, not cheap.

They pulled in $1 billion, and it cost more than that to run the joint?

Where's the money going?

Also, could they bolt MySpace onto AOL/Yahoo! All the Internet's awesome in one place.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Wow, not cheap.

The Putrid Palace is in the low minor leagues compared to the likes of GM.

4. Tim Brown 1
    Holmes

It's tough at the top

Presumably, as the results were "in line with our expectations" the CEO and the rest of the management fat-cats will be taking home their six-figure bonuses and seven-figure salaries as usual then, which probably goes a long way to explaining the loss...

5. Captain Dallas

Dear God, don't let Marissa Meyer anywhere near a position of importance again.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

She could go back to Google and have a go at sinking that.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

She could write vampire stories. No, wait...

1. Chemical Bob

That idea sucks....

6. northamptonwelsh

Zero customer service - and proud of it!

It's easy to see why Yahoo is in the tailspin that it is. Their complete lack of customer service is not great, but the proud manner in which they boast that if you find contact details for them, then it's a scam number is absolutely reprehensible!

I've been using a Yahoo email address for about 15 years, initially to isolate me from my ISP. However, for a long time I've had a nagging feeling that I should set up email on my own domain. Setting up and running a mail server is not a five minute task, and paying a monthly fee doesn't seem so appealing when you can just accept Yahoo ads and carry on for "free".

However, last week, I got a message to the effect that since I was accessing the Internet in a new location, I needed to get a verification code sent to a secondary email address. The default "help" section on the Yahoo website helpfully says that part of their Terms and Conditions is to maintain an active secondary email address - who knew, or can possible remember all the small print they've ever read?? As I've left the company where that secondary email address was registered, I've no way of getting back into my Yahoo account.

I guess I'm about to undergo a complete digital reset on my life, since everything goes back to that email address!

The lessons are:

- just because a company is providing a service today, it doesn't mean that they care about keeping you on that service

- although I've no sympathy for Yahoo itself, I've found that I feel slightly sad for its employees, who have to go down in its tailspin because of a culture that's proud of having no customer service...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like