back to article Met cops shop for £150m IT system. Must have: Data centre ops

London's Met Police is seeking a supplier for a 10-year contract for an integrated IT system worth up to £150m in its latest attempt to update its clunky technology. That system is intended to be a commercial off-the-shelf solution that will boost coppers' operational policing via a system that manages all their end-to-end …

1. Velv

Perhaps its because its not my area of expertise, but are there really COTS options available for operating a Police force?

There are some Operational Management tools out there for managing workloads and mobile workforces, but do they really meet the privacy, security, integrity and audit requirements of law enforcement and justice?

1. localzuk Silver badge

There are quite a few systems for such things. http://www.capterra.com/law-enforcement-software/ gives a random list of related systems.

There's gotta be thousands of police forces world-wide, so I'd be shocked if they couldn't get what they needed off the shelf.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why?

Does the Met have vastly different requirements than, for example Lincolnshire police?

Why can't these large contracts be brought under the Home Office purview, so as to benefit from efficiencies of scale?

Also, when it fails, wouldn't it be better to have one medium sized contract go tits up, rather than lots of little ones that cost much more in total?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: why?

Maybe it's because there are a lot of golf courses all over the place.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd expand this to asking why do we have 46 different police forces in the UK!?

3. leon clarke

I've heard the explanation that the Met is the biggest force by a fair margin. As a result, everyone else expects them to go first. Once they've done so, Lincolnshire will discover they have the same requirements as the Met. So they sort-of simulate a national system by the back door. (However, the Met's recent IT chaos has meant some people have got bored waiting for the met to order lots of obviously-needed things and gone for systems that are only as good as a small force can afford on their own)

The other advantage (for politicians in the home office) of a decentralised approach is that the IT cock-ups aren't (technically) actually the fault of the politicians.

So, al in all, a central purchase would be better for the taxpayer.

4. Rich 11 Silver badge

Why can't these large contracts be brought under the Home Office purview, so as to benefit from efficiencies of scale?

Because that would require cooperation rather than competition, and someone there taking responsibility for the central planning and subsequent cock-ups.

The Home Office still has an ideological hard-on for successful police forces taking over failing ones. Hang on, I think I might mean schools. Or hospitals. Well, anyway, if the principle hasn't yet been announced for police forces it will be before long.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Why can't these large contracts be brought under the Home Office purview, so as to benefit from efficiencies of scale?"

This assumes that bringing them under the Home Office would bring benefits. Citation needed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The citation is that these contracts are going to get fucked up by somebody. We might as well save newspaper column inches ( and probably money ) by just fucking up once, centrally.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The MPS rarely goes first. Their C+C system is 30+ years old; they did Body-Worn Video after a good 50-60% of the regional Forces did it.

Their IT is in likely a worse state than most of the other Forces combined.

4. PaulAb

That's the way to go!

Keep throwing money at anything, just throw it around. That way they can't be accused of not addressing issues and can't be blamed for not trying.

But they'll all collect very nice pensions.

I recall during the 'Yorkshire Ripper' case much evidence was lost/mislaid due to the manual system in use, since then we have had 37 years to get a system, still many Constabularies are incapable of sharing information, What a bunch of self serving arses.

Many systems upgrade by either Revolution or Evolution, Government and public service tend to use Stagnation as the optimal tool

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like