back to article Docs need to do remote consultations – report

Doctors need to invest in telehealth tech to take the strain off services by conducting remote consultations, according to a study by health charity the Nuffield Trust. The report (PDF), which was commissioned by NHS England, said GP services would have to address increasing patient numbers due to an ageing demographic. The …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    WTF?

Walk *before* you try to run ...

I would suggest the cast majority of GPs (mine excepted) could start with a decent booking system.

AFAIK, ours is the only one locally which has online booking (a godsend). Seems all others insist you have to ring on the day to discover there are no appointments.

1. John70

Re: Walk *before* you try to run ...

And yet when I go to my GP the waiting room is empty even though next available booking is 1 week later and its the only appointment left and online seems to be 2-3 weeks.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

And yet when I go to my GP the waiting room is empty even though next available booking is 1 week later and its the only appointment left and online seems to be 2-3 weeks.

And you are one of the lucky ones, amazingly. My surgery simply doesn't do bookings more than two weeks in advance, so if they are full then the response is "sorry we have no appointments available".

So unless it is an obvious hospital emergency - blood all over the floor etc - all the primary health care we have then is a 111 telephone call centre in Bicester.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Without wishing to get into a when I were a lad thread...

My G.P. doesn't do any bookings at all, phone appointments only if you are lucky so I guess they already have remote consultations. If they need to see you, they ask you to come in.

2. davidp231

And when you do have to go up to the surgery chemist to collect emergency medication after being told half an hour earlier they're booked solid for the next three weeks - you find the place bereft of patients.

2. Buzzword

Outsource!

If we're going to have remote consultations, let's at least use cheaper doctors overseas. For the last couple of decades we've become increasingly accustomed to foreign doctors (at the last count, 37% of BMA-registered doctors were trained overseas). Most patients won't notice the difference if their tele-GP is in India rather than down the road.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: Outsource!

Most patients wouldn't notice the difference if their GP was a talkie toaster programmed to say "it's a viral infection come back in two weeks if it hasn't got better".

I can say that, a Doctor saying it would be struck off because the GMC can't tell the difference between political correctness and malpractice.

3. Adam 52 Silver badge

I'd rather my medical record wasn't shared with the 1.5 million NHS staff (and Experian, Atos and the entire Internet after the inevitable breach), thank you.

There's nothing in it remotely useful to someone treating me that isn't on the SOS card in my pocket.

4. Chris G

I can't feel your pulse

There are a number of basics that are necessary for older patient visits like pulse, respiration and blood pressure. Unless everyone is going to be fitted out with a basic test kit by their phone/tablet/PC, the consulting doctor ( I hate the stupid 'Clinician' word) will be short of information that he should always have.

Also see this: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-virtualdoctors-idUSKCN0X127G

The Reuters articles states a 25% fail rate in diagnosis in a ttrial with virtual diagnosis, so at minimum all doctors will need to undergo specific training to get the questions right, otherwise the litigation rate will go through the roof.

The Nuffield Trust is an excellent well meaning organisation but in this case I think they need to do more research before recommending anything that involves the NHS putting more patients and their data online.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can't feel your pulse

I imagine diagnosis would suffer, but that only matters if the desired outcome is your good health.

2. Not previously required

Clinician

"Clinician" is correct. Sadly. Referrals to my hospital department are sometimes made by nurses and physios with posh titles who don't know their pubo-rectalis from their olecranon.

Sometimes nurses have more common sense than doctors though - it's best not to be ill.

Some of my job can be done remotely, but best if I have close working relationship with people at the other end, not random people in different continents. For the rest I actually need to lay hands on the sickness units - or patients as the more old fashioned would say.

3. David Pollard

Re: I can't feel your pulse

The Reuters articles states a 25% fail rate ... with virtual diagnosis.

I wonder what the failure rate is with surgery visits? My GP doesn't seem to do that well to start with.

5. Commswonk
    Thumb Down

Hang on a minute...

...GP services would have to address increasing patient numbers due to an ageing demographic.

The Department of Health estimates that, by 2018, there will be 2.9 million people with multiple long-term conditions, up from 1.8 million in 2012...

And the "target demographic" all have smart phones and the like do they? Has anyone actually bothered to check?

Curiously, although the headline includes the word "broadband" there is no mention of it in the article; would this be broadband for the health professionals (who probably do have a better than average service anyway, other than out in the sticks) or for the patients, in which case my comment above regarding the "target demographic" has to be expanded to see if they have broadband or indeed any internet connection. And, I suppose, Skype. A half decent survey might just find that they have other uses for their dwindling financial resources, or have neither the inclination nor the capability to master the technology involved; why should they?

Given the scandals that erupt around the 111 service from time to time this appears to be another giant leap backwards.

Looks like another grandiose scheme being set up to fail right from the outset, with the elderly and chronically ill patients being the losers.

6. Someone_Somewhere

I'm reminded

of the TV doctor in the original 'Max Headroom' pilot saying something along the lines of "Place your buttocks on the screen."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like