back to article Gumtree serves world's worst exploit kit to scores of Aussies

Malware expert Jerome Segura says Australia's most popular classifieds site, Gumtree.com.au, was serving the world's most capable exploit kit to some of its millions of monthly visitors. The site is Australia's twelfth-most-popular website and last month attracted some 47.8 million views. Parent site eBay Australia scored 74.6 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free dunny!

No wuccas

But it looks like Gumtree are in the shithouse.

1. Oengus

Re: Free dunny!

Only slightly soiled.

2. Michael Thibault

Parasitic symbiotes

Makes for a handy target, though.

3. Adam 1

So ....

Any chance Gumtree or their ad slingers will cough up for the cost of scanning and cleaning those visitor's PCs, or for some sort of identity theft monitoring service for those users?

Thought not.

Ublock origin people.

1. VinceH

Re: So ....

"Any chance Gumtree or their ad slingers will cough up for the cost of scanning and cleaning those visitor's PCs, or for some sort of identity theft monitoring service for those users?"

No, they'll just continue to stick their fingers in their ears and chant "LALALALALA" in the direction of everyone who tries to make them accept that there is a problem - and that their basic business model is a massive part of that problem. While at the same time, crying about ad blockers killing the web in the direction of everyone else.

4. Oengus
    FAIL

"The attacks are so successful because it exploits weaknesses in the global online advertising structure where high-pace and low-profit margins leave little room for complex buyer and content integrity checks."

The attacks are so successful because they exploit weaknesses in the global online advertising cartels where apathy and profit motive mean advertisers couldn't give a rats arse about buyer and content integrity checks.

FTFY

5. Youngone Silver badge

Ad Blocker

I mentioned at home that our shiny new firewall has an ad blocker that I hadn't turned on, but it might make our web browsing experience nicer.

One of my boys said that his favourite websites earn a living from advertising and he thought there was a moral dilemma in blocking the ads, which I thought was a good thought from a young man, so I left it off.

I might rethink that after reading this article.

1. LaeMing

Re: Ad Blocker

I don't use an ad blocker. I do use a powerful privacy-invasion / malware blocker. For some reason I see very few ads.

2. patrickstar

Re: Ad Blocker

The advertisers brought this whole ad-blocking thing on themselves. If they had stuck to, say, banner and text ads, instead of todays resource-eating ever-tracking annoying (now even frequently with sound!) javascript-dependent disasters, noone would be annoyed or get infected by them.

6. Zero Sum

Save the websites! :'(

<<One of my boys said that his favourite websites earn a living from advertising and he thought there was a moral dilemma in blocking the ads, which I thought was a good thought from a young man, so I left it off.

I might rethink that after reading this article.>>

Well, the rest of the world seems to have decided that musicians and other artists should give away their material for free, so I don't see why we need to make a special case for anyone's favourite website, especially if it might be serving up an unwanted fungal infection as a bonus.

Any unpaid for music, photos, or programs on sonny's computer?

On your computer?

I think you are on the right track with your rethink.

7. patrickstar

Chronically insecure code like...

...any major web browser and/or any common plugins.

FTFY

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like