back to article Docker goes native with Windows, Mac beta

Docker has decided the time is right for native desktop versions of its eponymous wares. The idea is to simplify what Docker's developer relations director Mano Marks says (video below) is a “dependency hell” created by the multi-layer installation currently required – installing Docker Toolbox, then installing Docker Machine …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just one question ..

.. am I at risk of attracting the same affliction as the chap in the video? Not that I don't feel sorry for him, but I can't type with hands that remain in closed fist format.

1. SuccessCase

Re: Just one question ..

The more it is obvious the guy is a techie trying his best and not a type A salesman with a flashing smile, the more I believe and trust what I am hearing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Just one question ..

The more it is obvious the guy is a techie trying his best and not a type A salesman with a flashing smile, the more I believe and trust what I am hearing.

Ah, that's the inevitable conflict. Techies tend to be very good at creating things, but very few are natively good at presenting material. I have no problem with getting a tech guy to explain stuff, but even just reviewing this take and a bit of coaching could have made this so much better for public consumption. It would have also ensured he wasn't hypnotically staring at the autocue whilst talking.

Explaining technology is a skill too, and needs exercise. If you want to see examples of how it can be done, any hacker conference has examples of doing it right.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

It wasn't all that bad until

You mentioned Windows 10 Pro.

sorry, no sale.

1. SuccessCase

Re: It wasn't all that bad until

It doesn't cost anything. Or at least is on the same model as Github.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: It wasn't all that bad until

There's a world of difference between "they don't charge money for it" and "it doesn't cost anything".

3. This post has been deleted by a moderator

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020