back to article Coho CTO on Pure's FlashBlade: Oh-ho, that's a no-go no-no

Andy Warfield, Coho Data's cofounder and CTO, thinks Pure Storage's FlashBlade design is misconceived. Warfield says Coho's engineering team went down a very similar route, found it to be wrong, and refocussed elsewhere. What happened was that, in 2013, the team thought it a good idea to build the densest network-integrated …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this a joke?

Coho is misguided if they think commenting on anything about Pure is a good idea.

I get the feeling that once a person has been given a slice of investor money-cake to enjoy, they really don't care about actually developing a business.

It won't be a surprise to see individuals who have gotten wealthy from "funding" to donate some of that money to Bernie Sanders.

2. Androgynous Cow Herd

Absolutely

Proprietary components are always the way to go. Just ask anyone at Violin Memory.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this a joke?

I know April fools is another week away, but is this a joke? Coho has the worst history of any any new player in storage in terms of getting their technology to work. There's a big reason why so many folks have left after really short times there....their technology doesn't work.

I know the Register is the NY Post of the tech world, but this is even bigger trash then normal

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Is this a joke?

"I know the Register is the NY Post of the tech world"

God, I'm putting that on my resume.

C.

4. ashukulkarni@gmail.com

Haha so basically Cohoguy says FU .. to "proprietary hardware" buy synology my friend

He's worried about inter rack traffic .. well thats something that is expected in a scale out architecture how else would you design a resilient grid BTW when did they perform the " TEST " things change since 2013 .. faster organized and proprietary devices are the building blocks which will make the "software driven products" perform better

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pure is drunk on it's success in the mid-market with VDI/VSI. They will eventually come out with a SKU that does not sell because it does not hit the right part of the market, at the right economics. This is probably the one. They will have the same frustrations that Infiniflash and DSSD are having in terms of where customers see it fits, and at what price versus all of the other cheap and deep converged options out there involving storage defined IP. Also, Pure's margins will get more compressed over the next year or two. Kind of explains the whopping 67% short interest on the stock right now, no?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021