back to article Mars to get comms upgrade with ExoMars mission

When the European Space Agency's ExoMars mission rode the fire and set out on a seven-month trip to Mars, it also carried a telecommunications upgrade for the Red Planet's satellite networks. Two Electra radios form part of NASA's participation in the project, carried on the Trace Gas Orbiter (TGO) to improve communications …

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Now lets hope the martians don't use up all the minutes.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I think it's a flatrate contract.

2. To Mars in Man Bras!
    Alert

DollarPounds

*"...Using relays has another advantage: it means a much smaller and lighter radio can be used on the lander, which represents real dollars in launch costs...."*

Given it was a European craft launched on a Russian rocket, they were probably billed in Euros.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Excellent news.

While space rated electronics on government funded space projects advances slowly it does advance

Historically data rates have tended to be "worst case" at all times. Letting the system raise at close range is a nice upgrade to have.

Hopefully it will become the common state of practice for future missions.

4. John Mangan

The Red Planet's satellite network ..

Awesome to think that we have created a satellite network around another planet. Hopefully we have learned some lessons from here and will strive to keep the debris levels to a minimum.

Does anyone know how many active satellites are currently in orbit around Mars?

And, although I can understand the transmission power savings by orbiting 250 miles above the surface, what's the altitude for a 'geo'-stationary orbit?

1. Duncan Macdonald

Re: The Red Planet's satellite network ..

The Aerostationary orbit height is about 17031 km above the surface.

Because this is between the orbits of Phobos and Deimos the position will not be very stable due to the effects of the moons.

(See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areostationary_orbit for details)

1. DropBear
        Trollface

What's an Aerostationary orbit? Is it for tracking blimps...?

2. TimR

There are currently 13 known artificial satellites in Mars orbit (5 active)

http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/5439/how-many-active-or-inactive-artificial-satellites-are-in-mars-orbit

'Geo'-stationary orbit, I believe, would be at about 17,000 km

1. John Mangan

@Duncan McDonald & TimR

Thanks guys.

And the unexpected titbit that the ?-stationary orbit lies between the orbits of the two moons - not helpful.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Just wait: Deimos is moving slowly outwards, and Phobos is slowly spiralling inwards. It may take a while to clear the Areostationary orbit, but what's a few million years in astronomy

5. eJ2095

I did wonder

Why my office 365 emails take a while to get to me. (Used at work so not by choice)

They being bounced off mars...

And looks like they get faster transfer speeds then me on Virgin Media!!!

6. eJ2095

Oh God just thought

Murdoch will try and stick there own satellite up there, then sue the government for not paying there erm fees..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like