back to article SAP backs UK remaining in the EU ahead of vote

SAP, Europe’s largest native software firm, boasting annual revenue of 20.8bn euros, has come out in favour of Britain remaining a member of the EU. The industry’s largest maker of business software told The Register that Britain’s membership of the European Union would benefit both sides. Part of the Germany-based firm's …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Well, whaddaya know - for once in my life I'm with SAP on something...

1. nichomach

Yes, it's kind of the Blair Effect - "Look, you're right, yes, but PLEASE don't be on my side anymore..."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That'll be the same SAP that does all their channel sales through Ireland to avoid UK tax? I guess that would come to an end if we all saw sense and just left.

Anonymous as SAP reseller.

2. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

SAP backs UK remaining in the EU

It's probably because their ERP has hard-coded the UK as being inside the EU.

Being SAP, they'd be staring down the barrel of a five-year (scheduled, actual = 12 years) £145,000,000 (budgeted, actual = £667,000,000) software change planning and implementation project to backspace the 'EU' out of that field.

Their concern reveals that they've been unable to figure out how to foist this expense off onto their clients.

1. Grikath

Re: SAP backs UK remaining in the EU

Something like that..

"Big Business worried about Upsetting Changes in Status Quo" , in other news....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SAP backs UK remaining in the EU

It's probably because their ERP has hard-coded the UK as being inside the EU.

Or it could be something simple like they sell more to the UK, as do all German manufacturers, than they do to the other EU countries - just look at the trade deficit between the UK and EU.

No German company willingly wants to lose the UK captive market and so reduce profits.

3. streaky

Confusing..

.. wouldn't with couldn't:

would not explain in detail why it believed the UK was better in the EU

If you honestly believe it you're going to make a compelling argument. Has nothing to do with interfering - there's no good reason why the UK should be in the EU for the UK or the EU which is why nobody can voice a reasoned argument to stay in.

If a German global megacorp can't come up with a reason nobody else has a hope.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Confusing..

They are only following orders...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They are only following orders...

Just as Fuhrer Frau Merkel said.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If a German global megacorp can't come up with a reason nobody else has a hope.

I work in the UK for a major German based business, and the group chief exec recently gave the UK staff a briefing and Q&A opportunity about group direction and strategy. In response to a question on this topic he answered by stating that the group doesn't take a position. He declared his personal hope that the UK would choose to stay as part of the EU, but then emphatically stated that it was up to us - our decision to take as we saw fit, and that even outside the EU we would still be part of the group.

Which seems a rather more adult and professional response than for a job-reaping software outfit like SAP to indulge itself telling us that we ought to stay in to make life convenient for the company.

1. streaky

Which seems a rather more adult and professional response than for a job-reaping software outfit like SAP to indulge itself telling us that we ought to stay in to make life convenient for the company.

Seems rather more like a cop-out. They either want us to stay in or they don't and if they do they should politely suggest some compelling reasons because no politician has.

4. The Quiet One

New Headline

How about "German MegaCorp backs German lead EU Status Quo for benefit of fellow Germans"

Catchy, no?

1. Grikath
      Devil

Re: New Headline

I have no doubt a good many people that have had to deal with SAP would gladly give it to the UK if they Brexit. Free of charge.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BullSh** Bingo

I'm only surprised anyone could make out WTF SAP were trying to say.

6. Spanners Silver badge
    Pint

No surprise there.

How strange. People in SAP can count!

Their whole business is maths, Of course they will see that if it is better for their customers (us), we will have more money to buy their stuff.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like